Thread: Chiappa Winchester 1887 lever action shotgun - steel proof?

Chiappa Winchester 1887 lever action shotgun - steel proof?

Hello everyone.

I saw this review in Shooting Times and thought to myself that if this was steel-proofed, it would make a cracking 'fowling piece. Does anyone know whether it is? Or is it the case that essentially all modern shotguns are made with steel proofed barrels?

2016-08-11_11-41-16 by pinemarten, on Flickr

Yes. Modern steel.

These guns are exceptionally uncomfortable to shoot with modern smokeless loads.~Muir

I had a look at one of those in a local gunshop a few months ago. Very nice finish to them indeed, but at about 900 or so, I thought it was a bit pricey in comparison to a pump.

Damn! That's a shame. Still, I wasn't seriously going to buy one anyway... Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post
    I had a look at one of those in a local gunshop a few months ago. Very nice finish to them indeed, but at about 900 or so, I thought it was a bit pricey in comparison to a pump.
    Our Trading post has one gathering dust for $750 US. ~Muir

I had an original ( briefly ) and shot a newer coach gun version that belongs to a friend . As Muir said , they are very uncomfortable to shoot . I'd even go as far as saying they are probably one of the worse stock designs ever put on a firearm . If I remember correctly ( doubtful ) John Browning reluctantly designed this shotgun under pressure from Winchester at the time . I have heard these shotguns referred to as Brownings Revenge . After shooting a few , I tend to believe it .

AB