Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed limit for twin cab?

Speed limit for twin cab?

The following is from the national police site:

'Most double cab pick ups would fall into the class of dual purpose vehicle (examples of a double cab pick up are vehicles such as Mitsubishi Warrior and a Ford Ranger). A dual purpose vehicle is;
    ◾constructed/adapted for carriage of both passengers and goods
    ◾a vehicle with an unladen weight not exceeding 2040 kgs
    ◾constructed/adapted that the driving power of the engine can be transmitted to all wheels
    ◾must have rigid roof, transverse passenger seats and rear windows amongst other things.

The national speed limits applicable to dual purpose vehicles (when not drawing a trailer) are the same as those for a car:
    ◾motorway 70mph
    ◾dual carriageway 70mph
    ◾single carriageway 60mph
    ◾built up area 30mph'

But my Navara twin cab has a 'mass in service' of 2160kg according to the V5 which is above 2040kg and is therefore a LGV and not a dual purpose vehicle. So restricted to 50, 60 and 70 as opposed to 60, 70 and 70. The V5 states it is a LGV.

Am I correct please?

David

Just drive it the same as a car.

The worst things are the likes of Caddy's etc, with are 50 in a 60 and 60 in a 70.

Go by what it is taxed as, taxed as an LGV lower limits apply.

After being on a speed awareness course I was shocked to find out the speed limit of pick ups are the same as a van. As above it is 50 in a 60 and 60 in a 70

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    After being on a speed awareness course I was shocked to find out the speed limit of pick ups are the same as a van. As above it is 50 in a 60 and 60 in a 70
    I do not think you are entirely correct sir. This could be very vehicle specific.

Sorry pal but if you check you will see that I am correct. I only got to know from the course. I have had pickups for 7 years and was shocked when they showed us the chart. But the people running the course may be wrong and if so I apologise

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    I just recently did a driving examination with an ex police class1 trainer. He had me driving at 60 in my Ranger and told me I can drive my L200 at these speeds too.

think you have been miss informed

Quote Originally Posted by Coddy View Post
    Just drive it the same as a car.

The worst things are the likes of Caddy's etc, with are 50 in a 60 and 60 in a 70.
    My point is that the Navara is subject to the same lower speed restrictions as a Caddy, I think!!??

Quote Originally Posted by highland stalker View Post
    I do not think you are entirely correct sir. This could be very vehicle specific.
    From what I have researched I think it all turns on whether the 'unladen weight' is above 2040kg. The problem is that my V5 uses the term 'mass in service'. Are the two terms the same?

Quote Originally Posted by daw View Post
    The following is from the national police site:

'Most double cab pick ups would fall into the class of dual purpose vehicle (examples of a double cab pick up are vehicles such as Mitsubishi Warrior and a Ford Ranger). A dual purpose vehicle is;
    ◾constructed/adapted for carriage of both passengers and goods
    ◾a vehicle with an unladen weight not exceeding 2040 kgs
    ◾constructed/adapted that the driving power of the engine can be transmitted to all wheels
    ◾must have rigid roof, transverse passenger seats and rear windows amongst other things.

The national speed limits applicable to dual purpose vehicles (when not drawing a trailer) are the same as those for a car:
    ◾motorway 70mph
    ◾dual carriageway 70mph
    ◾single carriageway 60mph
    ◾built up area 30mph'

But my Navara twin cab has a 'mass in service' of 2160kg according to the V5 which is above 2040kg and is therefore a LGV and not a dual purpose vehicle. So restricted to 50, 60 and 70 as opposed to 60, 70 and 70. The V5 states it is a LGV.

Am I correct please?

David
    works vehicle or private as speed limit depends upon that answer