Custom SEM Picatinny rail for Sauer 3000 Drilling

mchughcb

Suhler Einhakmontage (SEM) German Claw Mount made from a machined Nightforce Picatinny Rail for a Sauer 3000 Export Drilling by gunsmith John Kenyon at Mialls Gunshop, Melbourne, Australia. August 2016. Great job John.

Heym I believe that Recknagel and Zeigler already make similar rail/mounts and that they are available from Alan Rhone.

They do, but they are screwed permanently on the existing bases and are not detachable like the above.

They do, but they are screwed permanently on the existing bases and are not detachable like the above.

So you are saying that they are no longer producing a picatinny rail with quick detachable claw mounts then if I am following you correctly? I'm fairly sure that the Ziegler ones that I have seen in the past were detachable and simply clipped into the standard claw mount bases and I have seen similar offered by Recknagel for their mounts and the Mauser trident pivot system on the M03 rifle.

Correction.
Just had a look at the Recknagel catalog and I see what you mean, they only seem to offer a fixed system.

Last edited:
Wasted 220 euro on recknagel. The Zeigler will work if you want to pay a fortune to get the bases changed as well plus get the barrels re-ceracoated

Much cheaper to do what I did.

Wasted 220 euro on recknagel. The Zeigler will work if you want to pay a fortune to get the bases changed as well plus get the barrels re-ceracoated

Much cheaper to do what I did.

You're certainly right about the cost of Ziegler. I have a set on my Chapuis and while the idea of a picatinny rail to fit in the bases that I already have would be appealing the cost is simply out of the question. I'm sure that it was much cheaper doing it your way.

I know I really ought to shudder at the sight of a Picatinny rail on a Drilling... but that looks like a fantastically useful thing, and well-made to boot!

A propos of the target shown at the end of the video, does this indicate the repeat-ability of the zero?

No the target at the end is just three shots from the drilling at 100m. First shot was low , second two close enough for a 2moa dot aimpoint. I did a test with magnum bb field loads of the shotgun barrel. Half choke at 55 yards gave 17 pellets on similar target and full choke gave 7 pellets at 75 yards. Showing how versatile this combination is.

If you look closely there is exactly the clearance required for the pop up rear sight when the rifle barrel is engaged. The slight over hang at the back is to ensure you could mount a scope with low relief a bit further back if required.

That's impressive performance with shot.

By the by, I notice that your BBF97 is without a mid rib. Was this another canny modification of yours?

Yes, but the mid rib is just rubber with a metal strip. You unclip it with a small screw driver and then slide it out. Just makes it easier to clean and oil before putting away. Its purely a cosmetic thing, just to give the impression the barrels are soldered.

Here's the drilling in action with the new sighting system out on a hunt. Unfortunately you won't see what I was shooting at but I like it.

Slight modification. I ordered and received the aimpoint LRF kit which make the based quick detachable. Now I'm happy with the setup.

Back