Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winch bracket in Navara

Winch bracket in Navara

I asked my mechanic to make up and fit a bracket so that I could fit a winch in the load area of my Navara in order to pull up the occasional Red.

I wanted to use the bolt holes used by the existing C channel and didn't want any other holes made. Plus I wanted the bracket to use the floor in some way as added insurance against any twisting.

Below photos show end result which looks great to me and it isn't going to move.

He bolted it to the floor utilising the C channel on the floor.

I've attached a winch which is rated at 3,500lb - will this be man enough for the job?

The mechanic is a tad worried that the stays holding the tailgate might snap when I winch a deer up using a ramp - any views please?

Make up a support to go under the tailgate, you can get short acro jacks that adjust so would do the job
    Cheers
    Ray

That looks fine, I would be tempted to make or mod a wide sled ( ramp) maybe a short piece of Youngmans board.

Don't get involved with using the tail gate, just use the ramp and strap it on when you have finished..

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Drop the tailgate right down and put the ramp on the load bed. or does the Nissan not drop right down?
    My ranger tailgate can be dropped vertical to rest on the towball.

Careful putting a complete carcass in the back !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken navara.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	73295

It will do the job but ideally the winch needs to be mounted higher,the wire rope will catch your tailgate. My FC truck has the winch higher than yours by foot maybe . I use a ramp which attaches to the tailgate and the rope catches and digs in. Roof height would be the ideal height.

I took Ranger22,s advice and the winch frame I am having made for my Ranger will put the top of the winch level with the top of the roof or just slightly above.
    I have also spec'd in mountings for adjustable shooting rest for taking care of Charlie

In the gap between the buck and tailgate you can drop a block of timber for the cable to run over....this will keep the cable up from the buck and level for the winch.

Once the beast is at the top of the ramp you can take the block out.

Second method is to have the deer in a low tray and pull the lot up so it stays in the tray.....

Being a fabricator and having built several recovery trucks in the past it would not be asking my mechanic to make it for me lol

However as I said earlier it looks fine.

Tim.243

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    In the gap between the buck and tailgate you can drop a block of timber for the cable to run over....this will keep the cable up from the buck and level for the winch.

Once the beast is at the top of the ramp you can take the block out.

Second method is to have the deer in a low tray and pull the lot up so it stays in the tray.....

Being a fabricator and having built several recovery trucks in the past it would not be asking my mechanic to make it for me lol

However as I said earlier it looks fine.

Tim.243
    Surely it's way better not to have a winch rope rubbing on anything, even wood will cause damage to the rope and risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    Surely it's way better not to have a winch rope rubbing on anything, even wood will cause damage to the rope and risk failure.
    Every thing is better.......however his frame is in and done......

A round piece of Nylon 66 would work........nice and slippery !!

Know doubt some one will come along and say he need a ticket to operate the winch next lol

Tim.243