Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Issues with stolent bait from trap (beginner)

Issues with stolent bait from trap (beginner)

Hello all!

Hope this is in the right section...

I have a live capture trap set up in my garden to deal with pesky squirrels.

I have used peanut butter etc to bait it, kept it raised off the ground using small plant pots, covered with a bin liner and weighted down with a rock on top.

However it seems something keeps eating all the bait! I believe the slugs keep getting to it (raising the trap didn't seem to help for some reason. I've tried bird seed and peanuts as well but they always seem to get at it! (plate licked clean)

Any tips for a beginner??

Many thanks

put a slug trap out
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Introduction will help, welcome to the forum..john

Established Poster
    Why are you covering the trap with a bin liner ? Surely you want the squirrels to see it ?

If slugs are taking the bait there will be a slime trail. I would think mice are more likely to be the culprits. As for trapping squirrels I can't help you as I never done it.

Quote Originally Posted by twmmay View Post
    Hello all!

I have used peanut butter etc to bait it, kept it raised off the ground using small plant pots, covered with a bin liner and weighted down with a rock on top.

However it seems something keeps eating all the bait! I believe the slugs keep getting to it (raising the trap didn't seem to help for some reason. I've tried bird seed and peanuts as well but they always seem to get at it! (plate licked clean)

Many thanks
    Welcome to the site, but PLEASE make an introduction before posting anymore.

Thank you
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by riflerob View Post
    Why are you covering the trap with a bin liner ? Surely you want the squirrels to see it ?

We always wrap the traps in plastic, (may even be the law/best practice) but u usually only do a part in the middle (easiest) althou i sometimes do the far end. Idea's to give the squirrels some shelter esp if in areas with reds about.

U can easily raise the traps up as high as u want, u could set it on top of a fence etc or put a backet/nails on fence 1/2 way up. Just mind illegal to re release any caught greys and u have to kill it humanely (ie not drowning it)

Quote Originally Posted by twmmay View Post
    Hello all!

Many thanks
    Why are you using a live capture trap? if you catch a Grey you cant release it, as an invasive species you must destroy it by law.

Ian.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlandsjohn View Post
    Introduction will help, welcome to the forum..john
    Will do now