Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best .243 ammunition for Deer?

Whats the best .243 ammunition for Deer?

I am a relative newbie when it comes to choosing the right bullet for my .243 rifle.

I have been shooting rifles for a long time, targets as well as deer and foxes so i know how to point the rifle in the right direction and shoot straight, I know this is a crime but in the past i have not taken much notice of what i have been shooting with.

I have recently bought a rifle (Sako 85 Hunter) and i require some guidance of what sort of ammunition I should be using (weights etc) and advice on makes of ammunition (the good ones and the bad ones)

I will predominantly be after Roe but also the odd Red and Munty.

Thank you in advance

Tom

If you're after red you need to consider the relevant legislation re bullet weight and energy. In Scotland it's 100gn minimum. Not all 243's shoot well with 100gn bullets, a 1:9 twist rate is better for these, many 243's are 1:10....

My .243 is a bit picky over which ammo it likes in anything over 80 grains but for some reason it likes federal 100 grain and they are not hideously pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    If you're after red you need to consider the relevant legislation re bullet weight and energy. In Scotland it's 100gn minimum. Not all 243's shoot well with 100gn bullets, a 1:9 twist rate is better for these, many 243's are 1:10....
    I have checked and it has a twist rate of 10

I spent 10 years messing about trying to find the most accurate round for my Sako 75. For some reason that I can't fathom I didn't try Sako ammunition until recently. The Sako 100gn is the most accurate round that's been through my rifle, even beating home loads & it's legal for everything. The RWS conepoint was also very accurate but you'd want to hit bone with it or it may not expand on a roe.

I've still got a load of different types & if you're in the lower half of Scotland you'd be welcome to a few of each (Norma, RWS, Federal, Remington etc.).
    Last edited by McKenzie; 13-08-2016 at 06:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Westy1987 View Post
    I have checked and it has a twist rate of 10
    So has mine, like I say it was a bit fussy with the heavier ammo, 105 grain Geco was awful, privi 90 and 100 awful but anything of any weight from federal was great. I was glad to find a factory 100gn that worked as seen below at 100m

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	361.6 KB 
ID:	73303

I use a 95gn round by Remington, but down to 15 so I will be shopping around to see what else will be as equal,

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

I have a SAKO 85 and use 80 grain federal power shocks, they seem to work really well

Like others have mentioned, my 243 is fussy about anything over 80gn but I recently tried T Mantel 100gn and they consistently grouped well.

its not weight its length
    if reloading stick to flat base spitzer profile bullets in 100gr

if buying factory aim for those that shoot similar bullet profiles

boat tail ballistic tips in 90-105gr are likely to be difficult to stabilise or shoot accurately

a well placed 85gr will out kill a poorly placed 100gr....