Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Monkey Clamp

The Monkey Clamp

Today's big announcement is that we're now the exclusive distributor for "The Monkey Clamp".

This universal clamp is ideal for holding your rifle rock steady for that long range shot. This one is mounted on a Manfrotto 055 Tripod with a 327RC2 Grip Ball Head for the ultimate in quick adjustability.
    The Monkey Clamp is designed, manufactured and assembled in England and available for 200 including postage. If you're looking for the complete package including a tripod and head we'll be offering some special deals in the coming week.

www.blackrifle.co.uk - Firearms components, accessories, MDT Chassis systems, Vortex Optics and tools. Oh and manufacturer of a rather nice aftermarket magazine for the Tikka T3...

Iv had one of these for a few months now and they are a great bit of kit! I originally bought it to use with my Nv foxing set up as it leaves my hands free to scan the ground with my spotter. It allows much longer steadier shots. Highly recommend, just make sure you buy an adequate tripod as some are not designed for heavy loads and will flex to much.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1471166524651.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	796.2 KB 
ID:	73325

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Possibly get one of the big Benbo tripods. The design was "borrowed" from the tripod from a Vickers machine gun!

David.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Possibly get one of the big Benbo tripods. The design was "borrowed" from the tripod from a Vickers machine gun!

David.
    I have to confess to having two Benbo tripods and finding them next to impossible to use for anything involving a telephoto lens. Whilst the Benbo is admittedly excellent for macro work, I nearly always find myself missing the third hand required to get it in place and stable. I used one last Thursday for some shots in an office, and I find the time spent worrying about the stability of the tripod distracts me from the photography itself. Give me a Manfrotto any day!

So far as the gun mount, I'm interested to see a Manfrotto 327RC2 joystick used as the tripod head, as I am surprised it has sufficient load-bearing capacity and recoil resistance, even with the friction is turned right up. I have the same joystick that I've converted to the Arca Swiss plate by using the custom Hejnar adapter, as I am not a huge fan of the Manfrotto quick release when it comes to large lenses despite having used it for some years. Whilst I find the joystick excellent for lenses up to about 200mm, even converted I find it too much of a compromise for cameras mounted with anything bigger as the center of gravity is wrong. I would have thought a good gimbal head would have been significantly more flexible when it comes to mounting a rifle, giving a flexible center of gravity and far smoother pan and tilt capability, with rock-solid lock-up when needed, so I'd be very interested to hear how you've come to settle on the current combination.

Other than my camera-nerd questions, it looks a super piece of kit. Congratulations on bringing it to the market and wishing you every success.

Edit: Thinking about it, of course with a rifle you have a lot more flexibility in where you place the stock in the gun clamp compared to mounting a lens, so finding the center of gravity should be less of a constraint. Even so, I'd think a gimbal head would be a useful experiment.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 14-08-2016 at 11:52. Reason: Stupidity.....
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I have a degree in "octopus wrestling" so the Benbo is just manageable! I take your point though, setting up a Benbo does involve standing on one foot so you can sweep the third leg to where you want it.

David.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    I have a degree in "octopus wrestling" so the Benbo is just manageable! I take your point though, setting up a Benbo does involve standing on one foot so you can sweep the third leg to where you want it.

David.
    In my case the octopus won! Me trying to get the Benbo in position was more like an episode of Strictly!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Here's a couple of shots of The Monkey Clamp package with a rather nice Remington 700 GRS. The rifle balances very nicely and gives a good platform to shoot from.

www.blackrifle.co.uk - Firearms components, accessories, MDT Chassis systems, Vortex Optics and tools. Oh and manufacturer of a rather nice aftermarket magazine for the Tikka T3...

Why is the pic rail on the wrong way?

Quote Originally Posted by bob tail View Post
    Why is the pic rail on the wrong way?
    probably used for night vision kit,

Ade
    Last edited by British Shooting Services; 10-12-2016 at 20:52.

I have the same rail for a Drone pro NV