Novice to reloading help needed

Distinguished Member
New to reloading guys need a few pointers off all you experienced reloaders as it all a bit confusing , looking to get some kit to reload for my 223/243 can anybody advise me in the right direction on kit needed and how to etc etc.(never done it before!!!)
ok with basic kit as a starting point as on a limited budget.

Many thanks
ATB
Dave

Last edited:
This may be a daft question but are you reloading for two calibres ie 223 remington and 243 winchester or have you created a 22/243 wildcat?? One will create significantly more substantial problems than the other.

For basic kit you could try the Lee loading kits, I dont like them as they are built out of tin cans but they do work OK. RCBS and Redding are much nicer but cost more

For the minimum outlay is the lee loader kits about £30 per caliber and will allow you to produce some ammo

you would probably be better with a kit including a reloading press that takes standard dies

Personally I regard the following as being minimum kit

Reloading press
dies
shellholder
powder measure
reloading scales (v important)
case trimmer (e.g. lee trimming tool)
case neck chamfer tool
relaoding manual

This should get you started

If you can try to get someone to show you the ropes.

Cheers

S

OK how many rounds are you looking to handload?

If you only doing the odd batch ot 20-40 at a time then I would suggest:-

Lee Challenger press
Lee dies (they come with the shell holder)
Powder scales (beam type are the cheapest and actually easy to use although not fashionable)
Lee trim stud and cutter
Set of Lee powder scoops. (much cheaper than a powder measure an with small batches you can weight every charge)
RCBS chamfer tool (it's miles better than the Lee one)
Lee primer pocket cleaner

A reloading manual is very good but you can get the information of the powders and soemtimes bullet makers websites.

Getting soemone to go through the ropes with you is way the best way but of course you can do it from the books and the web. Be safe and have fun.

Some reloading data, as in a well respected reloading book / manual, or better still, the previous added to a friend / willing assosciate, who already reloads.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys

looking to reload 2 seperate cals 223 rem and 243 win possible 30 each at a time been looking at the lee kits( 50th year model), but idealy if there was a kind person out there that was willing to pass there experience on to me that would be great.

Many thanks
Dave

Dave,

I'm a keen reloader and would be happy to show you the ropes - I load for my own .223 amongst other calibres but I have a .243 set-up for a mate that uses my kit occasionally. Let me know if you fancy a trek down here from Staffordshire. I use a range of kit now but still have most of the basic stuff I started with dotted about my relaoding bench somewhere.

Cheers,

Adam.

Thanks for your kind offer Adam where abouts in herefordshire are you.

ATB
Dave

rcbs rock chucka master re-loading kit plus get partner press & s/steel dail calipers... lapua cases, Vihtavuori powders, fed primers & speer b/heads for cheepness lee die's good luck

Dave,

I'm deep in hillbilly country - Leominster in west Herefordshire. Straight down the A49 for you.

Adam.

I took the following picture of the tools I use to reload, the press and a powder funnel are missing from the picture, I have found I don't need any more than this and never find myself reaching for something I don't have. I'm far from an expert reloader, in fact I'm merely a beginner, but after approx 3 years this is the sum total of what I've accumulated:

reloadinggear.jpg

thanks for the picture a great help, adamant will be in touch soon if thats ok

ATB
Dave

I took the following picture of the tools I use to reload, the press and a powder funnel are missing from the picture, I have found I don't need any more than this and never find myself reaching for something I don't have. I'm far from an expert reloader, in fact I'm merely a beginner, but after approx 3 years this is the sum total of what I've accumulated:

reloadinggear.jpg

Bloody hell you must have strong fingers.....I have to use a press to size my cases!!!!:norty: I guess you must have a single shot as you only have one case!!

:lol:

S

It is a new condition some police forces are making up that limits you to only one case until you can show 25 years experience. I'm stuck with it. Actually there are a few other conditions that I'm not happy with either, and they do get in the way a bit. When stalking in woodland I have to be mentored by Tarzan of the Jungle who, so far, has failed to turn up for any of my outtings. The reasoning behind the Tarzan thing was something to do with crocodiles, I'm told by the police that it is when you are not seeing them that they are at their most dangerous. On the hill I have to be mentored by the head of the RSPB, unfortunately he has turned up for every outting I've been on along with 3,000 old people in plastic coats all eating lentils and farting a lot while pointing at things they wanted changed along the way. While I'm grateful to him for turning up things between me and him are not working out well. On a positive note because of all these conditions I only actually need one case and I've never actually got to fire it, so I didn't know you needed to resize it.

So, be careful out there with these newly made up conditions chaps.

Back