Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22WMR rifle safety question

.22WMR rifle safety question

I've debated a .22WMR for a long time , and now thought sell the .22LR and .22 Hornet and just have a .22WMR for occasional fox and rabbits

the only thing that bothers me is do .22WMR rifles blow up or lodge bullets in the barrel like the 17HMR etc seeing as it's a shared case between them

i just want to chamber round after round , shoot it and not worry in the slightest about any of the above issues

i would be using hornady v max which also doesn't help with the known above problems

thank you all
    Last edited by Markfox; 13-08-2016 at 15:12.

.22 Wmr round sticking in the barrel ?
    Never heard of such a thing nor suspected it would be possible.
    The one I used, a Heckler and Koch semi auto, chucked 40gns of copper jacketed bullets out at over 2000 fps with no trouble at all.
    I also have a friend with a Brno/CZ Semi auto .22Wmr and that performs with no hiccups whatsoever and if I had known about the Brno/CZ before I bought the H&K I would have gone for that as it cost half the price of mine.
    When I had mine there was a shortage of ammo but now there is quite a selection available but rather expensive, so really the only downside is the cost of ammo as they cannot be reloaded - unfortunately.
    Last edited by EMcC; 13-08-2016 at 13:58.

Doesn't happen in wmr
    thats why they are increasing in popularity

As a straight wall cartridge the WMR doesn't suffer from the ammunition issues that the HMR seems to have. I would recommend following a cleaning regime similar to a centre fire or you will soon loose accuracy, the WMR is not just a LR on steroids.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

All the above is great news to here , regards ammo cost locally stocked v max is about 12-13 for 50 which is plenty cheap enough to not worry about

i really can't understand why it is not a more popular Calibre it seems to tick all the boxes , hopefully it will increase in popularity as said above

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    I would recommend following a cleaning regime similar to a centre fire or you will soon loose accuracy....
    This has not been my experience. I have seven 22WMR weapons (6 rifles and one bolt action pistol) and they do not suffer from lack of cleaning. I can't even remember the last time i cleaned anything but the breech area/bolt. The most I ever cleaned my 22WMR rifle was when I was shooting ground squirrels in the desert and then it was a lightly oiled patch to remove dust, followed by a couple of dry patches. Otherwise I leave them alone.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    As a straight wall cartridge the WMR doesn't suffer from the ammunition issues that the HMR seems to have. I would recommend following a cleaning regime similar to a centre fire or you will soon loose accuracy, the WMR is not just a LR on steroids.

never cleaned mine more than a pull through after a wet day and a chamber/bolt brush every now and then to clear the residue
    may have put a dry patch through it but not even sure of that

I only cleaned mine when I couldn't get a cartridge in the chamber !!
    No Not Really, but as has been said the cleaning regime is about the same as a normal .22 rf.
    The chamber on mine tended to get a bit mucky depending on ammo used.
    Some were copper washed, some were half copper jacketed and those left the chamber very clean but some were greased and it was only these greased ones that meant looking at the chamber at the end of the month just to keep it tidy ;-)

And you can get self loaders in WMR great for shooting groups of rabbits off the top of a truck!

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    And you can get self loaders in WMR great for shooting groups of rabbits off the top of a truck!
    My H&K was a semi auto and so was my mate's CZ, both worked meticulously with allsorts of makes of ammo, no stoppages.