Shotgun fit and Silver Pigeon wanted

mikeakc

Hi all,
I (think) I'm after a silver pigeon in 12g. I'm a novice shotgun shooter and had a lesson with a very experienced family friend the other day, who as it turns out is a shooting instructor. He recommended I get a gun that fits me properly and amongst others suggested the Beretta 686.

He made this suggestion as it has a high comb and apparently I have high cheekbones (and a dashing smile, but he never mentioned that). The comb height issue was confirmed when I dropped into Sportsman Gun Centre by a chap called Clive (who was brilliantly helpful even though he could probably tell I'm not destined to be a big spender - thanks Clive).

Of the models I tried the Beretta 686 and 687 fitted like a dream with the 15" stock (I guess a 14 3/4 with a spacer would do the same job). The sporter was the model for me as apparently the comb has a couple more mm in height over the game model as it's a bit beefier.

So, does anyone have one they'd be willing to part with? I'm on a budget which rules out all but the 'most affordable' 686's. Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.

All the best,
Mike

Why dont you contact Ladds at Credition or failing that Avalon as they are probably the two biggest shot gun deaklers in the S West and see whats available.

D

Some very reasonable ones second hand. I have a SP and it's great but I bought it unseen over the phone via guntrader. It doesn't fit all that well which had I tried would have know but still nothing a good fitter can't help with. You can probably get a gun for for a few hundred quid unless you need loads of alterations. Can't go wrong with a Sp and they hold the value so well

Give Dennis at UK Gun Repairs in Taunton a call he'll have what you need and as an experienced instructor and stock maker will ensure it fits as well

after reading your post are you sure you really need a silver pigeon?, i mean in terms of fit, if you are going to get it fitted then you may aswell start with anything and adapt it.
i suppose if you want it to look spot on it will be expensive to have alot done but if your not too bothered about it being seamless you may aswell buy a cheeper gun and get it fitted spot on if you are on a budget.

just my 2p, but id be more bothered about having a perfect fit even at the expense of having a patchwork stock if its cheaper!

I take your point, but I now have an old and super condition 686. Just wanted something that I can enjoy for 30 years rather than looking at 686s out of the corner of my eye!

I have a silver pigeon 686E for sale with adjustable stock winch would be ideal for your situation
Being a non-conformist shape too I recently purchased a Browning with an adjustable comb & I would now be reluctant to buy an O/U without one. It's just fantastic to be able tweak the shot pattern position without having to go through the hassle of wood bending.
I shot it straight the first day to get used to it, then the next day I was able to pattern it & shift it 6" right & raise it to get 60% of the pattern above the mid point & now it shoots like a dream.

Last edited:
Back