Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats best NV or Thermal?

Whats best NV or Thermal?

So I am potentially looking to buy a Thermal scope. I currently have a Pulsar N870 NV Scope and a Flir First Mate hand held scope.

What is the best option for bagging rabbits and foxes. TI Scope or NV?

From what I've gathered, and I have looked in to this with a view to buy thermal scope (I have thermal spotter) it depends on a few things. If you positively know what's in front, and what's behind and intended quarry then thermal. If you have to visually ID your quarry, backstop and possible interference of shot then NV.

Your thinking being that with TI you can get a good understanding of terrain and back stop and you may mistake a cat / dog or worse person for a rabbit or fox etc? Makes sense.

Your thinking is that with TI you cant get a good appreciation of terrain and back stop? And you may mistake a rabbit or fox for cat / dog or worse human? Makes sense..

I use a thermal spotter, and it's brilliant, but it doesn't have the clarity of nv. To my mind thermal is more of a "finder", it saves a lot of scanning with nv in as much as if it's there the thermal will see it. If the thermal doesn't see it then it's not there.
    But take in to consideration that's just in my view and on my ground (which are pretty average English farms)

Unlikely you'll mistake rabbit for cat or dog after a little while using it, but as you say terrain can be difficult especially on warm / humid nights when the temperature difference isn't so great.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    been looking through a couple and been very disappointed with the image quality and the magnification.

TI is not for me, to much money for what IMO is a poor picture...better of with a dedicated gen three than TI. and that's saying something.

I am happy with my drone 10x and a hand held spotter from some bloke on the NV forum,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    been looking through a couple and been very disappointed with the image quality and the magnification.

TI is not for me, to much money for what IMO is a poor picture...better of with a dedicated gen three than TI. and that's saying something.

I am happy with my drone 10x and a hand held spotter from some bloke on the NV forum,

bob.

Bob, a thermal spotter is a game changer, while you're still scanning for quarry I would be counting them out to you.

Good advice Gents, cheers

Just found this video on youtube which gives a good account.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Bob, a thermal spotter is a game changer, while you're still scanning for quarry I would be counting them out to you.
    Hi Rod

I have been using a TI spotter (not mine) and that's fine for finding a heat source but unless your sat on it the images are not to my liking.

a TI hunting scope is just pants, the lad on a nearby estate has one and for the very very large amount of money his boss spent on it rod. I could have taken myself and my family to Florida for a fortnight all expenses paid, and I would not have missed the cash at all.

long way to go IMO: for a true TI hunting scope with stunning images for the money has yet to be seen.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube