Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: manky bits for dog

  1. #1

    manky bits for dog

    Unfortunately I've just written basically the whole front end off of a small muntjac. How much do you guys give to your dogs? Foamy flesh that's been pulverised? Meat with fragments of bone smashed through it? Is there a concern about fragments of lead in this type of meat?I can't see any lead in it and I think the bullet I'm using is a bonded type (federal fusion)

    Hmm 30-06 at 30m perhaps not the best. Wouldn't of been confident with head shot either as damn things are so twitchy.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    The front end of nearly every deer I cut up gets fed to the dogs and they have always done well.

  3. #3
    My dog gets the trimmings and also make a gravy out of the bones etc. Where you have a badly pulverised mashed up shoulder, I would n't want to eat it nor would I feed it to the dog. All those fragments of bone and bullet wouldn't be good for either dog or yourself. I am totally prepared to put a mashed shoulder into the bin. Yes its a bit of a waste, but blood shot meat goes off very quickly and lead is not brilliant for the system. You are only loosing a lb or so of meat so why take the risk.

    It's always a compromise - a 30m shot is going to be messy. A perfect broadside through ribs will cause minimal meat damage, but for many stalkers, self included, you take the best shot that presents itself. A bullet through the shoulder puts the deer on the floor, lung shot - it may well run, and head shots are tricky.

    You might try downloading a bit / going up a bullet weight - 2,600 fps MV is ideal for sub 150m shots - you don't get explosive expansion on closer range shots.

  4. #4
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    6,995
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by J111 View Post
    Unfortunately I've just written basically the whole front end off of a small muntjac. How much do you guys give to your dogs? Foamy flesh that's been pulverised? Meat with fragments of bone smashed through it? Is there a concern about fragments of lead in this type of meat?I can't see any lead in it and I think the bullet I'm using is a bonded type (federal fusion)

    Hmm 30-06 at 30m perhaps not the best. Wouldn't of been confident with head shot either as damn things are so twitchy.

    Thanks
    I have to confess to have shot a couple of small muntjac in my time, noted mostly when walking up to the carcass and realising it was perhaps not quite the 100m I thought it was.

    Something like the Father Ted sketch "small.....far away....."

    As Heym says; if you wouldn't put it through the mincer to eat yourself, why risk it with your dogs?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    My dog gets the trimmings and also make a gravy out of the bones etc. Where you have a badly pulverised mashed up shoulder, I would n't want to eat it nor would I feed it to the dog. All those fragments of bone and bullet wouldn't be good for either dog or yourself. I am totally prepared to put a mashed shoulder into the bin. Yes its a bit of a waste, but blood shot meat goes off very quickly and lead is not brilliant for the system. You are only loosing a lb or so of meat so why take the risk.

    It's always a compromise - a 30m shot is going to be messy. A perfect broadside through ribs will cause minimal meat damage, but for many stalkers, self included, you take the best shot that presents itself. A bullet through the shoulder puts the deer on the floor, lung shot - it may well run, and head shots are tricky.

    You might try downloading a bit / going up a bullet weight - 2,600 fps MV is ideal for sub 150m shots - you don't get explosive expansion on closer range shots.
    Good points thanks. I'm not reloading at the moment but could switch to a 200 grn round for using from the high seat in the woods.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I have to confess to have shot a couple of small muntjac in my time, noted mostly when walking up to the carcass and realising it was perhaps not quite the 100m I thought it was.

    Something like the Father Ted sketch "small.....far away....."

    As Heym says; if you wouldn't put it through the mincer to eat yourself, why risk it with your dogs?
    This one was actually much smaller than I was expecting when I walked up to it. Show straight through the shoulder. Better to do that than risk rupturing the hole rumen though in my limited experience.

  7. #7
    [QUOTE=willie_gunn;1149164]I have to confess to have shot a couple of small muntjac in my time, noted mostly when walking up to the carcass and realising it was perhaps not quite the 100m I thought it was.

    Something like the Father Ted sketch "small.....far away....."


    I had this exact thing happen, small doe I thought.... It was under some bushes so not well lit, took the shot but it was much closer than I'd allowed for in my head. Turned out to be a tiny little youngster which fitted in its entirety into a roasting tray..... Quite convenient really, I suspect I've shot larger hares truth be told!!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I have to confess to have shot a couple of small muntjac in my time, noted mostly when walking up to the carcass and realising it was perhaps not quite the 100m I thought it was.

    Something like the Father Ted sketch "small.....far away....."

    As Heym says; if you wouldn't put it through the mincer to eat yourself, why risk it with your dogs?
    I don't lick my balls (not for a lack of trying!) or drink from muddy puddles but that doesn't mean it's not good enough for my dog. Granted I wouldn't give him meat I know to be full of shrapnel but he's going to chomp up the bones anyway so a few small pieces haven't done him any harm yet. The last muntjac I shot (head shot so no wasted meat) he had the entire skeleton (not all in one go) minus the leg bones as they really do splinter while he's cracking them up.

  9. #9
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    6,995
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    All sorts of visual images there I'd rather have avoided

    My point was that personally I don't see the need of introducing needless risk. Mine get legs, bones and all sorts, but as you can't always see the shrapnel - and given the amount "wasted" - I prefer not to feed them mangled meat.

    As I've found with my own teeth and eating toffees, it only takes one to cause a problem

    Your dogs, your choice.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  10. #10
    Sorry about that! Bullet fragments I will avoid feeding but the bone splinters and foamy flesh I'll feed him just not too much meat as it gives him terrible wind!

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale Last few bits
    By archie12 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2015, 19:24
  2. For Sale Bits
    By borden in forum Firearms Components
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2014, 17:41
  3. For Sale .223 Lee die bits
    By white van man in forum Reloading
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-01-2014, 13:34
  4. *SOLD* 17 Rem bits
    By defender-kris in forum Reloading
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-08-2013, 17:12
  5. *SOLD* .308 bits
    By bobjs in forum Reloading
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30-11-2011, 10:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •