Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which shooting sticks?

Which shooting sticks?

I see mono,bi,tri,quad. Lots of choice, but what are the ups and downs of each? I don't mind spending money on a good product that will last, as long as it is not silly money.

I'm 6'4" if that is a consideration.

Quad sticks by limulus, he makes them to suit your height. I'm as tall as you and tried trigger sticks (tripod) and found it a bit low and not as comfortable as quad sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    I see mono,bi,tri,quad. Lots of choice, but what are the ups and downs of each? I don't mind spending money on a good product that will last, as long as it is not silly money.

I'm 6'4" if that is a consideration.
    I find it far more satisfying to make my own quad sticks, in truth the basics are only 8 holes in 4 sticks and 4 bolts!

The tasks of putting up shelf's and house hold DIY for people to get a pass out to go shooting is far complicated.....

I work off the principle " if you want it done right, do it your self "

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

As far as quad sticks go, I've used a few but would recommend looking at Monkey sticks on here and make your own. I spent over 200 on a set of Derek Clifford Quad Sticks and wish I hadn't bothered. I got the longest ones and now I realise they are still not long enough, the bolts come lose and they need constant looking after (oiling) and they warp when the humidity changes. Pros - they look great and get lots of comments, and if you clang them on the rifle it's a dull natural wooden sound, and the ability to change angle without moving the feet is a bonus.

My old man has a pair of limulus ones. Granted, lots get sold so they must be good , but he finds them complicated to open (has to be done in a certain way) and I agree.

The new Viper Flex look good but the holes whistle (think you get a kit now to stop it or tape it up) - if they'd been on the market when I bought my Clifford's I'd have probably gone this way. They are height adjustable too so that's a bonus.

Several people I stalk with use the monkey stick recipe and they seem to be great, and cheap and can be made how you want them.

So quad is the way to go? Saw a chap on the bay who sells ones he makes himself. Anyone have any experience with them? Price is right - I'd possible spend more getting the bits to make it myself. 162166135605

6"3" & I use Limulus's quad sticks for standing during the summer months & Knobloch twin-sticks for a quick closer woodland shot or my preferred shot, sitting. I've adapted the quad-sticks to make them very easy to open by fitting tap washers on the bolts between the sticks & outdoor velcro to the shafts to prevent them clattering. I didn't use the quad-sticks for the first year as they seemed to require a sudden movement to open them & were noisy too, neither of which helps with stalking but I'm delighted with them now.
    Last edited by McKenzie; 14-08-2016 at 18:52.

Aris , quad sticks are the way to go. Previously I used vanguard mono /bi/tripod combo and I have made quad sticks out of garden cane ,wooden dowels and to be honest since I bought the viper flex sticks (Hammond) I wouldn't have anything else.
    I have the basic ones which can be broken down into 4 pieces. There is also a very expensive multi piece set (good for travel). The adjustment holes can whistle in the wind . I know that viper flex has an accessory kit to address this problem, but not sure what they have suggested. I have set mine such that when together the yoke is at chin height, I have taped the adjust holes with a roll insulating tape which solves the whistle problem. The final modification is to add a piece of para cord between the front and rear pairs to stop them opening out too far . As for your height , one of my shooting buddies is about 6'3-6'4 and he loves his. Basically they are money well spent .
    The only problem you might encounter if you tape the legs you can't shorten them, so can you get them in your vehicle?
    Last edited by huntsman; 14-08-2016 at 18:59.

+1 and it matters not if you bust a leg off one

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    I find it far more satisfying to make my own quad sticks, in truth the basics are only 8 holes in 4 sticks and 4 bolts!

The tasks of putting up shelf's and house hold DIY for people to get a pass out to go shooting is far complicated.....

I work off the principle " if you want it done right, do it your self "

Tim.243

I made some quad sticks. They never left the house. Just to cumbersome and inflexible in my opinion. Back to my trusty telescopic tri sticks that I paid 30 for. Can use them way down low for prone shots, sitting shots and standing shots with 2 or all three legs deployed. They adjust to any un even ground and I can pan to follow a beast no problem. To much hyp over quad sticks I feel.