Thread: Roe - Quads ?

Roe - Quads ?

A keeper friend has told me he has seen a roe on his ground with four kids at heel. Has anyone else seen similar before? He was wondering if the doe could have adopted/ stolen kids from another? He did say all were the same size.

That is more than likely.
    Triplets are not uncommon but quads might be pushing it a bit as they would be quite small at birth and may not survive a hard winter.
    It is more probably that the 'spare set' lost their mother and 'adopted' the other Deer and it's twin.

There were quads on the outskirts of Perth four or five years ago seen by a lot of people comments on here at the time seemed to rear them successful.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    That is more than likely.
    Triplets are not uncommon but quads might be pushing it a bit as they would be quite small at birth and may not survive a hard winter.
    It is more probably that the 'spare set' lost their mother and 'adopted' the other Deer and it's twin.
    I (assure you) I am not being controversial for the sake of it but would be interested to know on what you base your statement i.e. incidence of adoption over and above quads.
    Thanks

They can definitely have quads, there was a doe a couple of years ago had quads in the field in front of my house, I used to see them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    I (assure you) I am not being controversial for the sake of it but would be interested to know on what you base your statement i.e. incidence of adoption over and above quads. Thanks
    Roe can have quads but are not as common as twins.
    When more than twins are seen together it is usually because the mother was shot early in the Doe season or involved in a traffic accident, poachers etc.
    I have observed such activity over the last fifty+ years on more than one occassion, I have even seen a separated kid approach my dog or myself until it got so close to realise it wasn't what it was looking for. Had I been another Doe the kid would probably have followed on and added to the family.

Interesting to know that a doe would adopt a stray kid or kids, I know wild boar will but if I had to guess I would have thought that deer would reject any but their own progeny.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Roe can have quads but are not as common as twins.
    When more than twins are seen together it is usually because the mother was shot early in the Doe season or involved in a traffic accident, poachers etc.
    I have observed such activity over the last fifty+ years on more than one occassion, I have even seen a separated kid approach my dog or myself until it got so close to realise it wasn't what it was looking for. Had I been another Doe the kid would probably have followed on and added to the family.
    OK, thanks - but for balance of argument I have seen does kick out at other does' kids on more than one occasion. We all know what one needs to do to to get a ewe to accept another ewes' lamb.

I agree quads are scientifically recorded.