A good cull buck

Evening all,

After skinning out my last buck from last Friday and discovering it was no good to eat, i took it to a local permission and tied the carcass to a tree near a well used fox earth. I went last night with the .223 to wait for an offending charlie. He didnt turn up due to an old woman pondering around in the field (no footpaths!). I decided to have a drive down onto a field which is being hammered by rabbits and shoot a few with the .223.

As i was driving back along the woodside on my way home, i looked down a ride and onto a wheat field, here i could see a deer on the flood bank. I stopped and glassed the deer, a small and thin buck. I watched him for a while, he was about 240yds away and noticed that he hobbled as opposed to walk. I remembered then that i had seen a deer while lamping earlier this year that i though had a limp. I watched him til it got dark.

Tonight, i decided to have a wander down with the .308 and see if i could get a better look at him and take him out if he was injured. I went down through the wood and spotted a doe and youngster at the other end of the field, around 500yds away. I watched them for a while and then saw a deer shape in the nettles next to them, i couldnt tell if it were a buck or not until it started to fray a sapling. I set off and stalked from 500yds to 200yds fairly easily, just crounching along in the long grass. When i got to 200yds, i could no longer see the buck, so sat and waited for 10 mins. still no sign. I stalked closer but as i was in direct line of sight with the doe, i had to crawl. I got from 200yds to 100yds and the doe and kid were still there, larking around which was great to see. Still no buck. I waited for 20 minutes with no joy. I thought he may have hopped into the wood to have a lay down. I got up onto my knees and thats when i saw another two heads poking up through the grass. One was the buck, the other was a doe. The buck got up and was not putting any weight on his front left leg, hobbled three steps then sat down again. I decided it was best to take him out if possible. Another 10 minutes and he still looked settled. I got to around 60yds from him using the long grass and found a tussock on which i could get the rifle high enough on the long bipod to sit and shoot over the top. 10 mins before complete dark, i thought its now or never, so i whistled once, he stood up labouiously and went down like a sack of spuds with a 150gn SST through the lungs and heart.

On inspection he had a multiple fractured left front leg which was still broken but looks like an old wound. I gralloched him and rushed home, hes hanging up now and will take some better pics in the light tomorrow. Definitely a good animal to take out. I found it rewarding to target a specific animal and stalk on flat ground from 500yds to 60yds.

I shall post pics tomorrow eve.

Night all.. :)

exellent writeup and a good ending this time for you sounds like a very good stalk . hope you get many more all the best,wayne

hi,

good to see that patience works
cant wait to see the pics
well done mate and you earned the kill
any ideas what caused the breaks

atb frank

Well done indeed Mr Flyingfisherman. Cracking stalk which paid dividends at the end of light. A good and rewarding buck to take too.

IMG_0248.jpgIMG_0247.jpgIMG_0245.jpg

A few pics of the bucks broken leg You can see on the lower part how its healed but was broken further up too. I took the whole shoulder off as it was completely wasted. The buck was in a healthy, if a little thin condition otherwise.

Back