Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing rifle fire

Introducing rifle fire

Has anyone got any tips for introducing my GWP to rifle noise?

He is 11 months old and very bold, not bothered by storms, most loud noises etc. I've taken him to a couple of country fairs and he was fine when we went to the clay pigeon stands for a shot, but stalking quietly, then a loud bang, I'm not sure.

Many thanks
    Kendall.

Take things slow with the pup. I made two mistakes.....I had my dog neutered before her first season, massive mistake as one of the side effects from the lack of hormone release for bitches is aversion to noise. I then rushed her training, that I can tell you has affected my dog.

Also if he is ok at the moment introduce the gun from a distance and make it fun.....it all revolves around fun and the association with the gun . If anyone says just go for it and take your dog to places with loud bangs or don't worry if the dog is warey at first.......walk away and ignore them. There is a method called flooding......you flood the dog with noise, in the end the dog breaks, it basically gives up and succumbs to the gun, the dog will shut down and might seem ok with noise but it will just be putting up with it. The negative side is its cruel and the dog can associate bangs with fear.

My dog is fantastic at finding anything you care to hide..but noise....she shits herself .....that is my huge fail....I have to live with it .....but will not put her through lots of noise as some say .....she is my best mate and I wont do it.

Good luck

have a dog it gets on with there when you do introduce it .my pups will be kennelled at home during the shoot season with two drives near the house but not on thier own !I don't really introduce it ,it just happens so don't make a big thing of it

My dog (not really a stalking companion but he has been shooting with me) will stalk kind of quietly with me but as soon as he hears a shot he is off like a Usain Bolt as he gets too excited knowing there is something dead to find. I wish I'd got him used to the noise before he knew what it meant as he wouldn't be so hot headed to run in and start madly looking. I remember the first time I took him.out and he heard a gunshot I was was so worried he would be scared that I made such a fuss of him and helped him find the squirrel I'd shot that he then got over excited.

They say you make all your mistakes with your first dog and I've made plenty with mine!

start off slowly with someone at distance with the .22 then work up don't make it too exciting or you will have an unsteady dog eager for the chase, build up slowly keep the gun seperate from a chase or dead things till much later on when totally steady to the shot, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    start off slowly with someone at distance with the .22 then work up don't make it too exciting or you will have an unsteady dog eager for the chase, build up slowly keep the gun seperate from a chase or dead things till much later on when totally steady to the shot, atb wayne
    All good advice above but I'd also add for you to be distracting the dog with happy thoughts as the gun fires food playing something else that your dog like maybe, then as the dog shows no adversity to shot you can slowly remove this distraction
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

My experience is the same as Nun's....My ESS is very steady (most of the time) but occasionally as soon as the BANG goes off she knows there's something at the end of it to pick up!

Started her off when I was zeroing. Took her to her favourite pond....let her have a swim and a play...then back in the crate in the boot....closed boot....took a few shots...opened boot...still in crate....few more shots.....then to heel whist a friend took some shots......then by my side whilst I took some shots and worked her up from there.

Now as soon as she sees the rifle go up on the sticks she is at heel with a firm "stay!".....shot goes off and she is ready to go sometimes needing another firm "Stay!" or "Wait!" until I'm happy to either let her off to find whatever or still get her to walk to heel as I approach.

The worst one is when I use the air rifle out of the bedroom...she is off like a rocket to the back door ready to retrieve the squirrel!!

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    They say you make all your mistakes with your first dog and I've made plenty with mine!

I am still making them.....

Wish my poor dog would get over her fear but alas I think its a lost cause. must be great to have your wee chums stalk with you ((

Is there a rule of thumb on this? My Cocker is 16 weeks now and I already take him to the clay ground where he normally sits in the crate with the boot open looking out whilst I do a round then I come back and walk him around the stands. It it too much ? He doesn't seem bothered in the slightest and this Sunday he was actually sleeping whilst someone was shooting about 50ft away and was none to impressed about being woken up