Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAC returned with rifle slots missing.

FAC returned with rifle slots missing.

I have just bought a new 243 but have not picked it up due to needed to have my FAC changed. I had three rifles, 243, 25-06, 308 and traded in all three to buy the new one. I sent my FAC off to have it updated so I can pick up my new 243, I have just opened my certificate and it no longer has slots for a 25-06 or a 308. I still want these calibre's and will buy replacement rifles shortly, why have they been removed! Is it normal for police to remove slots like this? And what is the simplest way to get the slots back. Any advice or experience of something similar much appreciated. Many thanks.

Quite often happens,just give them a call,probably a typo error,usually is for me.

They might ask you to do a variation ,thats what happened with mine i asked them they said as i had sold them the slots where closed,but thats with good old gmp,
    DONT START

In my experience as soon as one disposes of a rifle, you must reapply for the slot to be opened. If you explain and it hasn't been too long, and they are helpful like Sussex police, they will reopen them for you at no charge.

I thought the generally gave you 12 months grace to leave a slot open , if you havnt used it by then then you lose it

All above correct as far as I know. You just got what you asked for. When you dispose of a rifle you have to apply for a 1:1 to reopen the slot. If you have three guns and want to dispose of them all to buy a single one, then do as you have done. If you don't mention the other two slots, they're gone.

Slots are not automatically left open, you must inform your licensing office within 7 days of the disposal of any firearm and ask for the slots to be left open, if you have not asked for this within the 7 days you will have to apply for a variation.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by gmart122 View Post
    All above correct as far as I know. You just got what you asked for. When you dispose of a rifle you have to apply for a 1:1 to reopen the slot. If you have three guns and want to dispose of them all to buy a single one, then do as you have done. If you don't mention the other two slots, they're gone.
    +1

No 1:1 request... no slots.. slot closes on sale of gun

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    You get seven days to do a one for one variation..... so if you sent your fac for variation within seven days of disposing your rifles and asked for the same caliber to be put back on then they should of done that.
    You haven't said wether you asked for the calibers to be put back on...... if you didn't ask them they won't do it.....likewise if it was outwith the seven day o e for one timescale.

You probably needed to do a One for One variation. Once you write back they will give you the slots back.