whats your favourite deer to stalk

long shot

I have been lucky enough to take 7 different speices of deer in the Uk but out of all of them Roe is my favourite,
I find them challenging to stalk both in woodland and on open ground,plus there quite easy to carry back :rofl:
so whats yours and why ????

Yes for me its Roe Deer i have shot Reds in good numbers A few sika and lots of roe but if some one asked me out stalking and gave me the choice it would be roe every time.

Last edited:
I have shot good numbers of all except CWD.
And I have to say its roe, although a rutting stag or fallow buck gets the blood going.
Munjac when stalking the ground knowing they are in there somewhere is also very good.

Definately muntjac. They're easier to carry back to the car, I only have a small freezer, and because they are so small you use them up quicker which means you have to go stalking more often.:D

Longshot,

I've not got a favourite yet, but out of interest, what was the 7th species that you've stalked?

Cheers,

Bob

I can't speak for CWD either but amongst the others it's roe for me too.

It's hard to put a finger on why but I just find them fascinating animals. Close second would be Sika, when a rutting stag's whistling under a brooding dusk that get's the adrenaline going!

Humm, Roe. Definatly Roe. Or actually maybe Sika? :confused: Or Red?

I have a top three but no difinative answer :D Will that do?

Sam

Longshot.

I've just googled it - nice looking deer. Sort of similar to a fallow but with red/sika antlers.

I assume there are none on the Derbyshire / East Staffs border - wishful thinking !!!

Cheers,

Bob

sika on the hills/mountains of wicklow ,i love the excitement of the rut and the challenge of the hinds .

It has to be Red stags for me,the roaring,scrapping, trying to get past loads of hinds to get to a specific stag out on the hill,helps when your in the scenery we have in the west coast!!

I like all the species of deer, they all have their own beauty. But my favourite would have to be roe, even for just watching. They have an elven grace about them, delicate yet hardy.

ft

Without a shadow of doubt in my view the most majestic deer of all to watch and stalk are Roe deer but if you asked me which was the best to eat, I would say Red followed by Fallow then maybe roe
Stu

Longshot.

I've just googled it - nice looking deer. Sort of similar to a fallow but with red/sika antlers.

I assume there are none on the Derbyshire / East Staffs border - wishful thinking !!!

Cheers,

Bob
LOL if only we had a good head of deer around here,I took the Axis at Woburn Abbey

Muntjac.

Tasty, don't keep still and stalking them on foot in the woods is addictive.

In terms of the total package, Roe in Scotland.

I've only stalked red, roe and sika and only have access to sika at home here in NI but for me the favourite must be reds on the hill. The other stalking is lovely and has its own good and bad points but for me there is just nothing to beat a September day in the hills of the Hebrides with the sun out and the prospect of a stag in every little gully and dip, or even the high speed operation required on a short January day for the hinds. Maybe the fact that I don't get to do it for very many days each year makes it seem much better than it actually is but it really is iconic stalking at its very best.

I know that icons don't always live up to their reputation. Some years back I went along to see Eric Clapton perform in Belfast. I was very much of the view that he couldn't be so very great really and that I could take it or leave it. He came out onto the stage with Billy Preston, Steve Gadd, Nathan East and Chris Stainton and I was just overcome with the quality of all aspects of the band. So it is with chasing red deer in the Hebridean hills, it isn't just about deer but about sitting atop the hill watching St. Kilda loom on the horizon lost in the mass of the Atlantic, or looking down the valley watching the eagles below or even, occasionally, watching the RAF fly below you up the valley. There is more to iconic stalking than just sneaking up on a few deer.

I have stalked Red, Sika, Roe, Fallow enjoyed all equally, I have sat in a high seat for Munty, although 12 hours in Feb (On valentines day) was a tad cold, but as I had never shot them before, it was a welcome change of tactics.

I have not seen, never mind shot a CWD.

So as it stands, no easy answer, I enjoy them all.

TJ

Good question, favourite or most challenging?

My favourite has to be roe does in Southern England or the Scottish Borders; fairly straight forward stalking but always interesting, winter work so sensible hours, usually other stuff to see, pretty simple to extract unless you shoot four at a time miles from a track then its your own fault!

If we are talking about challenging that has to be woodland fallow in Sussex, every man and boy is shooting them day and night so they are super switched on, lots of eyes, ears and noses in a herd, tonnes of public disturbance.

JC

Back