Thread: Bending shot gun stock

Bending shot gun stock

I have an old but nice beretta SO4 sporter that I have owned for around 1 year, the only problem is that there is a lot of cast on the stock and this is causing me issues, I have recently been looking to get this bend back a little but am a little worried about the stock cracking? I live in wiltshire and am currently looking at visiting Richard Freeman to take a look, any one used him before, or someone else in wiltshire to fit a gun? Richard says he may be able to bend the stock while I wait, this seems quite quick as another gunsmith told me it would take 3 weeks. Just looking for a little reassurance as I do not fancy having a re stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Wylyetom View Post
    I have an old but nice beretta SO4 sporter that I have owned for around 1 year, the only problem is that there is a lot of cast on the stock and this is causing me issues, I have recently been looking to get this bend back a little but am a little worried about the stock cracking? I live in wiltshire and am currently looking at visiting Richard Freeman to take a look, any one used him before, or someone else in wiltshire to fit a gun? Richard says he may be able to bend the stock while I wait, this seems quite quick as another gunsmith told me it would take 3 weeks. Just looking for a little reassurance as I do not fancy having a re stock!
    Dont take my word for it but I can tell you what I was told yesterday when I enquired about getting mine done as like yours it had a lot of cast on it. I was told that it all depends on the wood, some will bend easily and be done in a day or so with others take longer requiring careful nudging. Higher quality wood the better and easier it is to do so you should be laughing .

Straightforward enough to do for a gunsmith. Its fitted into a jig with the estimated amount of pressure applied in the direction required, often with the grip soaked in oil. I must have had this done to perhaps 10 different shotguns & never had any damage caused. The only problem I've run into is that cheaper stocks are harder to bend & sometimes take more than one go. Over & unders can be harder to do & often are best left over the weekend. Allay your concerns by reminding yourself that you're bending the wood back towards where it wants to be, rather than against it. If they say that it will take 3 weeks then it probably means that the jig is booked up for the next 2 weeks.

I had my guns measured at Apsley Shooting Ground and then bent etc by Chaplins in Winchester and I cannot speak highly enough of them.

Straight grained wood is sometimes a pain to move but they normally all go over. Be aware this is always done at the clients risk and can move back over time.

Also check if the stock was cut with cast for the client from inception, in which case you might see the tang strap having a cast as well of course. Stocks cut with cast look awful 'de-cast' and are better left alone imho. Being a factory gun of course and not an English SBS, this is unlikely to be the case.

There are two types of shooters - the fulfilled and successful ones - with a 7 X 57 and those poor souls who have not yet decided to get one!

Jim Wills in Bath is a stocker and very good too