Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johannsburg with Emirates

Johannsburg with Emirates

Travelling hunters. I want to go back to SA next year.

Has anyone travelled to OR Tambo airport with Firearms.

I can go from Glasgow with one stop in Dubai for a very good price with Emirates airline.

I have read the Emirates policy on taking firearms and it is much in line with SAA and BA. There is a mention of permission to be had from Dubai police for transition of weapon onto South Africa.

If anybody has experience of similar journey then I would appreciate any advice or knowledge. For instance do I still contact our border force for a permit to export rifle and ammo.

Thanks in advance
    Redneck

Yes you will need the export permit as that is for the SA police, nothing to do with Dubai. Personally you should be looking at SAA out of Heathrow. I know it is a long way but it will be less pain than Dubai. How about the train down.
    Take a look at my website for info on what you need in SA. Hunting Safaris | Big Game Hunting | Safari Hunter
    Cheers
    Adrian
    UK Agent for Settlers Safaris
    Grahamstown, South Africa
    Etosha Conservancy, Namibia
    Hunting Safaris | Big Game Hunting | Safari Hunter
    Home

Have flown with Emirates but it was such a long journey compared with SA.

You have a wonait in Dubai for a few hours then if you need a connecting flight from jo'berg then you will have another wait. Then on the return you made need an overnight stay in jo'berg.

Fly direct so much easier.

SAA don't count the weight of sporting equipment as part of your hold luggage.

allowed around three hours in jo'berg to clear the SAP.

One word of warning, make sure your paperwork is in order otherwise it be a little expensive....

you need the SAP form completed but don't sign it.
    a letter from border force
    letter of invitation from the outfitter
    firearms certificate

i am flying with SAA from heathrow this september. For the reasons stated above.

I haver flown before with SAA from Heathrow and fully aware with requirements going that route.

Clearing Jo burg with the rifle and ammo took no longer than 30mins.

If you read the Emirates firearms policies it clearly states that there is some form, of authorisation required when flying onward through Dubai with a firearm.

All I wanted was peoples genuine experience but thanks to all who answered

Quote Originally Posted by Hanechdene View Post
    ...allowed around three hours in jo'berg to clear the SAP.

One word of warning, make sure your paperwork is in order otherwise it be a little expensive....

If your paperwork is in order, 15 to max. 45 min with all my clientele coming in....

What do you by ...it will be little expensive...?
    Patrick Reynecke (Bushwack Safaris)
    Web: http://www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
    Mobile:+27 82 773 4099
    Mail: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwack View Post
    If your paperwork is in order, 15 to max. 45 min with all my clientele coming in....

What do you by ...it will be little expensive...?

Here is the right stuff that will be needed to enter SA and successfully clear you weapons at SAP

UK CITIZENS importing firearms into the RSA for hunting!
    made aware that UK Citizens temporarily exporting firearms for hunting to South Africa and applying for a temporary import permit at the airport (not pre-issued) after arrival in South Africa, will need to have Proof of Export from the UK.

This is compulsory. Without this proof, the police will not issue the temporary import permit and will confiscate your firearm(s).

What to do:

Email the UKBF Armoury Control on firearmslhr@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk:
    o Advise them that you will be travelling to South Africa for a game hunting safari.
    o Request them to issue you with a letter/document that you may lawfully temporarily export your firearms and ammunition to South Africa.
    o Scan and email copies of the following with the request:

• Passport
    • Firearms licence – indicate exactly which rifles/shotguns you will take and the amount of ammunition
    • Return flights and date
    • Contact details: +44 (0) 20 8910 3721

• SAP520 to be filled out for import of rifle to RSA

Bushwack you jumped on this thread to tell something a lot of us already know and have had previous experience of.

Have you any knowledge to contribute regarding the original post question ?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Travelling hunters. I want to go back to SA next year.

Has anyone travelled to OR Tambo airport with Firearms.

I can go from Glasgow with one stop in Dubai for a very good price with Emirates airline.

I have read the Emirates policy on taking firearms and it is much in line with SAA and BA. There is a mention of permission to be had from Dubai police for transition of weapon onto South Africa.

If anybody has experience of similar journey then I would appreciate any advice or knowledge. For instance do I still contact our border force for a permit to export rifle and ammo.

Thanks in advance
    Redneck
    yes, read your post...

"...has anyone travelled to OR Tambo with Firearm's?..." What does Dubai to do with it?...perhaps then ask the question...has anyone travelled to Dubai with Firearms...

"...For instance do I still contact our border force for a permit to export rifle and ammo..." Yes.

The best is to phone Emirates and hear what is their policy and handle accordantly. As far as my knowledge you will have nothing to do with the police in Dubai. Once you booked your rifle in in Glasgow you will only see it again in Johannesburg.
    Last edited by Bushwack; 29-08-2016 at 09:04.

Redneck, the main pain with Emirates is - to me - quite tricky paperwork with many pages of documents to be submitted prior to travel. Passport. All the pages of your shotgun and firearm certificates. Letter of invitation. Then a wait, nervously, to see if it's all ok. But I can go from Glasgow.
    I haven't used SAA but I have used Virgin, who were OK but, again, to me, going through a London airport is a nuisance.
    PM me Redneck and we can have a chat about experiences.
    Ive been to Namibia, SA and Zim a few times now and quite a lot has happened to me.
    Good hunting.