Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun valuation help needed please

Shotgun valuation help needed please

A good friend of mine has two shotguns he no longer uses and is wondering what their value may be if anyone may be able to help please? The only William Evans 12g on guntrader at the moment is over 4k but I have no idea if his is comparable and there are no Midland Gun Co 20g to look at,

Cheers

Stratts

1st up
    William Evans side by side 12g boxlock made in 1910 - 30" barrels blueing in pretty decent nick few marks inside but it's a few years old!! Apparently William Evans got his wrists slapped for engraving 'William Evans from Purdey' on the barrels and was stopped from doing it. Original case which is a bit tatty and has some straps missing.

2nd is a Midland Gun Co side by side 20g sidelock with 28" barrels. This has had a stock repair done professionally on the top and is also in pretty good fettle.

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

First off pictures are nice, however what they are proofed too?

I would get a gun shop to run the gauges through them!!

That is a good starter for 10 Bamber!!

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Tim's right it's all about barrel thickness. If they are in proof then i suggest you check Holt's realized prices from previous auctions to get an idea.

F

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    First off pictures are nice, however what they are proofed too?

I would get a gun shop to run the gauges through them!!

That is a good starter for 10 Bamber!!

Tim.243
    Good point Tim and nice pictures Stratts . You need a proper valuer...

If only red dot was around 🙄
    Think of a value & add 20%

Your question is not possible to answer without examining the guns. Too many potential variables could make them anything from scrap to 1K+.
    For instance ejectors/non ejectors will make a big difference. 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 inch chambers? Original barrels or sleeved ?
    Any stock repair on a gun of this vintage may detract from its value. Has the chequering been re-cut making the hand of the stock thin ?
    Internal bore measurements and barrel wall thickness are vital to establish whether they are in proof and if so, how much wear is left in them.
    Are the on the face or is there any play? If ejectors, is the timing right ? I could go on and on and on so, back to the top.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    Your question is not possible to answer without examining the guns. Too many potential variables could make them anything from scrap to 1K+.
    For instance ejectors/non ejectors will make a big difference. 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 inch chambers? Original barrels or sleeved ?
    Any stock repair on a gun of this vintage may detract from its value. Has the chequering been re-cut making the hand of the stock thin ?
    Internal bore measurements and barrel wall thickness are vital to establish whether they are in proof and if so, how much wear is left in them.
    Are the on the face or is there any play? If ejectors, is the timing right ? I could go on and on and on so, back to the top.
    I agree with all of the above and would add that when you are selling prices always seem to be at rock bottom and no-one is interested; if you are looking to buy then either nothing is available or it's ridiculously overvalued!

It's worth a hundred quid of MY money that's for sure!

Pm sent

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    It's worth a hundred quid of MY money that's for sure!
    I take it that 100 each ?
    If the guns are in proof and all other potential sources of grief are ok...... then you would be a robber baron.

If not, then Stratt's mate should pull your arm off and you would lose your shirt. You wouldn't even get your money back on the leather case, complete with trade label, although you would probably come close.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.