Thread: Outstanding service - again!

Outstanding service - again!

North Wales Police have done it again

As I mentioned before, I was well impressed when the wife and I received our new FAC and SGCs six weeks before the expiry of the old ones.
    Now NWP have really excelled themselves: My daughter's first FAC dropped through the letterbox this morning, just 2 months after her 14th birthday (14 being the youngest age a FAC can be applied for). What's more they've provided the necessary ammendments to my cert FOC, to enable me to buy a rifle and ammo to gift to her.
    It doesn't get much better than that!
    Big thankyou to NWP firearms team!

Nice to hear of such good service, long may it continue!

NWP seem pretty good in my experience. (Of course trusting you Tim is a bit dodgy!!!!!!!!!! )

David.

Can I ask what calibres the lucky lady has been granted. Have my 14 year olds meeting with the firearms enquiry officer in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Can I ask what calibres the lucky lady has been granted. Have my 14 year olds meeting with the firearms enquiry officer in a couple of weeks.

She only applied for .22lr at this stage. It's been granted as a closed ticket, which is no big deal as on the same visit they cleared all the farms I regularly shoot over on my open ticket (by the simple process of looking at an OS map spread out on our kitchen table!).
    Interestingly, there's no mentoring condition on her FAC, which is something young people (and quite a few older ones) often have when their first FAC is issued.
    They also explained to her the process for applying for a variation when she wants to move up to bigger calibres (which they seemed quite amenable to), and getting the ticket opened when she's got a bit more experience.
    Now she's got her own FAC she can, I believe, use a centrefire under the "estate rifle" clause, so she can gain some experience before applying for a variation / open ticket. (Without her own FAC she wouldn't be able to do this until age 17). She's keen on foxing, so I can see a 22-250 being on the cards before long!

The Firearms team were very good, and when the FEO came out he had with him an nonuniformed lady officer who'd previously been on the schools liaison team to help make it as informal as possible and less daunting for my daughter.
    Last edited by VSS; 17-08-2016 at 22:22.

Sounds good and I'm glad all went well. It is nice that they did everything to reduce the stress for her as it inevitably seems like an interrogation, even if it is not meant to! We have applied for a bit more, as he is desperate to start doing the shooting rather than doing the following when stalking. He has permission to do so on some quite decent areas (several thousand acres) under my supervision. I cannot see there will be an issue with the 22lr or even the 17 remington and I'm sure that we can show good reason, but I'm expecting a bit of undeserved chin scratching with the 308! Will see how things go!

Nice! Glad it all went well

I have a feeling the estate rifle clause is a blanket 17+ age threshold, regardless of whether you have an FAC or not.

Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 (estate rifle clause)

Firearms Act 1968 (acquisition of firearms by minors)

Firearms Act 1968 (supplying firearms to minors)

I think under the age of 17 the only way to use a non-shooting club rifle at a club is to have your own FAC with that rifle specified on the ticket and land to shoot over.

If you have a larger caliber rifle that your daughter wanted to use then as she already has a ticket you could ask for it to be added to her ticket as well and then I think you're all covered assuming you have land to use it on.

Anyone who knows differently please feel free to correct me, but that is my understanding!
    Last edited by stubear; 18-08-2016 at 07:23.

My reading of the estate rifle clause is similar to stubear's but I am certainly no expert. Perhaps give the BASC firearms team a ring and clear it. Another temporary solution would be to have your foxing rifle added to her ticket so it is shared. Might be an idea to have everything shared so you don't have to have separate cabinets, unless you need extra storage space that is.

Best wishes,

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    My reading of the estate rifle clause is similar to stubear's but I am certainly no expert. Perhaps give the BASC firearms team a ring and clear it. Another temporary solution would be to have your foxing rifle added to her ticket so it is shared. Might be an idea to have everything shared so you don't have to have separate cabinets, unless you need extra storage space that is.

Best wishes,

David.

I'm not 100% sure about it either, but it was the impression I was given during my daughter's interview. However, I spoke to the FEO again today, and he said he wasn't really clear about it!
    I'm sure that the letter that was sent out when I booked to do DSC1 said that anyone doing the course who was aged between 14 and 17 had to have their own FAC to enable them to do the shooting test (for which a rifle could be provided by the course tutor). This seems to imply to me that the "estate rifle" clause can be applied to that age category, if they have their own FAC. Otherwise not.
    Either way, I don't think it's going to be an issue - the FEO is keen for her to gain as much experience in my company as possible, so if I have to put my rifle on both tickets I don't suppose they'll object.