Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fallow stalking advice and experience welcome.

Fallow stalking advice and experience welcome.

Hi all,

Off fallow stalking tomorrow morning on some ground that I have. Been up there many times with no success only the occasional sighting of one that I've already spooked lol Any top tips on how to stalk fallow? Stay static for long periods or should I be working the ground? got a fair amount of woodland that I can stalk through also but its pretty noisy, is it worth going through?

Cheers

KS
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

Check the wind on the met office site before you even leave home. Stalk really slowly if you want any chance at all. Otherwise get some high seats!

Move EXTREMELY slowly. If it takes less than 2 hours to cover 500 metres, you're going too fast.

Cover your face and hands.

As soon as you see one, stop moving. There is always one closer to you that you haven't seen. Take the time to really search your surroundings before moving - and then move as slowly as you can.

Get a puff bottle and check the wind often.

And if you possibly can, find out where they come out of the woods, then get there early and lie up waiting for them. They're MUCH easier to shoot in the open.
    Last edited by Mungo; 17-08-2016 at 18:37.

same as Baguio seats will defo help u also an air cushion

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    As soon as you see one, stop moving. There is always one closer to you that you haven't seen. Take the time to really search your surroundings before moving - and then move as slowly as you can.
    +1. Top tip on woodland fallow stalking. See one and there will be four or five more that you haven't.

Remember you only have one set of eyes looking forward. Fallow herd and have many sets of eyes, noses and ears covering every direction....slow down or find a good vantage point to scan a wide area and stay put.

Move EXTREMELY slowly. If it takes less than 2 hours to cover 500 metres, you're going too fast.

actually stalking fallow I have found the opposite if you find fresh slot marks move fast on them , though I agree the most important thing is face covering and wind are the most important.

interesting to know about the covering of the face, not something I've had to do for roe or red before. Are fallow really that skittish? I've not got anything that i can lay my hands on before tomorrow for covering my face, i do have a beard though if that makes any odds? haha

Ill be sure to move slowly and try staying stationary for longer periods and maybe move quicker like taff says if needed.

Thanks for the advice everyone, ill let you know how i get on.
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

Established Poster
    As others have said, speed is your enemy.

On a trip in April, we stalked down the side of a wood. Took us an hour to cover about 200 metres.
    Walk a little, look a lot.
    Also , look with your eyes, not with your head.

EDIT : I wouldn't be hugely worried about face veil. It's more about slow deliberate movements than perfect concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow_Stalker View Post
    interesting to know about the covering of the face, not something I've had to do for roe or red before. Are fallow really that skittish? I've not got anything that i can lay my hands on before tomorrow for covering my face, i do have a beard though if that makes any odds? haha

Ill be sure to move slowly and try staying stationary for longer periods and maybe move quicker like taff says if needed.

Thanks for the advice everyone, ill let you know how i get on.
    They're sharper than a **** house rat Kernow. Even the invisible man would have his work cut out foot stalking them! Arguably the hardest deer to foot stalk!