Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 R17 discontinued

6.5 R17 discontinued

A short time ago I posted on this forum asking for advice on reloading 6.5x55 Tikka T3x which I was waiting to be delivered.The advice as usual was sound and I purchased 140 gr Sierra Gameking tips and R17 powder worked the load up and achieved (for me ) fantastic results clover leafing at 100yrd.All sorted until I tried to purchase some more tips and powder from my local gun shops in Herts and cambs no one has any supplies and R17 has been discontinued.

Any ideas on replacements that are likely to be available please

Cheesed off from Herts

I've never heard of R17 powder - do you mean Reloder 17, Elcho 17 or something else? Regards JCS

Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 18-08-2016 at 10:17. Reason: picture added

Try Hornady 6.5mm 140 grn InterLock SP.

Failing that, I would purchase any expanding 6.5mm bullet between 120 grn and 140 grn available, and then work out which Vihtavuori powder provides the highest muzzle velocity for that particular bullet weight. http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloadi...sh-mauser.html

You will get acceptable results with any bullet weight. I use bullets around the 120 grn weight in order to limit the recoil.

I believe R17 is now RS6O , try Norman Clark at Rugby

Reloader 17 (if thats the one you refer to) is still available, no word of it being discontinued, more likely the shop has none and resorts to BS instead of getting some in. RS60 is the same powder, they are both made Nitrochemie in Switzerland.
    Henry Kranks appear to have the bullets in stock, why not ask them if there is another supplier in your area

Quote Originally Posted by Akeld View Post
    Reloder 17 is still available, no word of it being discontinued.
    On the contrary, there are plenty of word-of-mouth reports that RL17 is being discontinued... just no statement to that effect from Alliant: so it's probably just a rumour, which is a relief, because I use it in several loads, including a very useful one for my 6.5CM.

In the interim I have purchased a tub of RS60 and will be putting together some loads to see if it gives the same results as RL17 at the weekend, all being well.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    On the contrary, there are plenty of word-of-mouth reports that RL17 is being discontinued... just no statement to that effect from Alliant: so it's probably just a rumour, which is a relief, because I use it in several loads, including a very useful one for my 6.5CM.

In the interim I have purchased a tub of RS60 and will be putting together some loads to see if it gives the same results as RL17 at the weekend, all being well.
    Anyone of note making the reports? RS60 will give same results, and it works out slightly cheaper

43.3 grains of swiss rs 60 and sierra 140 gameking is what I use getting 2680fps with a 22 Inch barrel I believe it's the same as reloader 17 regards jim

Quote Originally Posted by Akeld View Post
    Anyone of note making the reports?
    Only the last 2 places I tried to buy some, a couple of forum threads, and a couple of texts from shooting buddies... echo chamber stuff, really. [Perhaps "plenty" was overstating the case. My point, such as it was, was that there might be "no word" in Northumberland, but there was elsewhere.]

Curious, though: what is a person "of note" in this context? ISTM only the manufacturer or possibly the importer.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Is there anyone selling RL17 that is near to West Lothian ? I placed an order with my RFD a month ago and it never arrived!
    Willing to travel to pick it up needing some asap
    Regards,
    fm