Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASDA Heads up Yellowtail wines on offer

ASDA Heads up Yellowtail wines on offer

All,

I know many SD members enjoy Yellowtail wines well I was in ASDA at lunch time and the Shiraz is now 4.75 and the mixed bottles are 4.17. I didn't see any Merlot. This is v good price, cheapest I have ever got the Shiraz was 6 for 25 and that was over a year ago. Same wine in other supermarkets is 6-7 a bottle so stock up whilst you can.

Also Aberlour reduced from 32 to 20.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    All,

I know many SD members enjoy Yellowtail wines well I was in ASDA at lunch time and the Shiraz is now 4.75 and the mixed bottles are 4.17. I didn't see any Merlot. This is v good price, cheapest I have ever got the Shiraz was 6 for 25 and that was over a year ago. Same wine in other supermarkets is 6-7 a bottle so stock up whilst you can.

Also Aberlour reduced from 32 to 20.

D
    I saw these and wasn`t sure about them. Must admit though I like a good red if having it with a meal.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Thats cheaper than they are down here, about $10 per bottle, although very few Aussies buy it. It's almost like fosters, & I cant recall anyone other than tourists drinking fosters in the last 20 years.
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Thats cheaper than they are down here, about $10 per bottle, although very few Aussies buy it. It's almost like fosters, & I cant recall anyone other than tourists drinking fosters in the last 20 years.
    Know what you mean about the Fosters it's got to be one of the worst lagers on sale in the UK. The power of advertising keeps it selling extremely well though. So Sharkie which Aus wines should we be drinking then?

I went in next day and loh and behold the price had gone up by 1 a bottle, just shows you what profit they are making. In France its only 4 a bottle. Its ok for day to day drinking, we get decent stuff from established wine vendors.

D

I think the best advice I have ever been given is "drink the one you like". There is so much wine growing going on everywhere, "everywhere" down here now & all are very different, not to mention our unpredictable weather from year to year. Names like Brown Brothers still have a following but a lot of the bigger names just buy in & blend grapes. I find that its best to try a bottle & if you like it go back & buy a few cases. Its always amusing to put a $5 bottle of wine beside a $40 bottle & see what folks like best. I drive through one of 2 major wine regions (Hunter Valley, Mudgee) at least twice a week & if you get to know the folks at the cellar the most expensive wines can also be bought as "cleanskins" for a fraction of retail. Yellowtail wines are grown at an industrial scale, mainly on ex wheat farms & specifically for the European not domestic market. We can buy much much better wine at the same price without shopping around, but if you do try a few different wines & shop around, then there are lots & lots of bargains & great wine. It has become quite a sport for some folk.
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Prehaps you might give us some indications of such wines, Shiraz, pinot Noir ans Cab S for a start. I like other s do as you advise. For decent wine esp from Australia Laithewaites do some great stuff and alot are source from smaller wineries. Often is the case that the good stuff is kept in country and the rubbish is exported. Yellowtail now very big in UK, years ago Rosemont were the major player but now minor player.

Thanks

D

[QUOTE=Cyres;1152149]Prehaps you might give us some indications of such wines, Shiraz, pinot Noir ans Cab S for a start. I like other s do as you advise. For decent wine esp from Australia Laithewaites do some great stuff and alot are source from smaller wineries. Often is the case that the good stuff is kept in country and the rubbish is exported. Yellowtail now very big in UK, years ago Rosemont were the major player but now minor player.

Thanks
    D quote]
    I suspect you are correct in your assesment of our export wines, we can get "chateau cardboard" in 5litre goon bags of much higher quality than for the price you pay for a single bottle of our mass produced & exported "product". We have several thousand wineries, but only a very few "generic" exporters which are soley aimed at your markets not ours. I dont know the solution, but I doubt you are getting the same wine as we do, no matter what the brand is. Maybe in the higher price range there is some equity to availability, but not in the very affordable gems & small ferments we can enjoy which arent profitable to advertise or export.

Edit to add. I have never heard of Laithwaites.
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

You might like to look for wine from Paringa Estate. The website mentions exporting to UK.
    This vineyard is close to me and I know the owner personally, played cricket with him for some years. Lindsay McCall started this winery from scratch and I have helped with harvesting and keeping down the rabbits that were hell bent on eating the first young vines.
    The wine isn't cheap stuff but even a guzzler rather than a wine buff like me can tell quality. Maybe the exported wine is a better price than here, I don't know.
    You can always email Lindsay to ask where you might find his wine in the UK.
    http://www.paringaestate.com.au/
    Grant.
    Ed: Here you go, found it. Search the site for Paringa Estate
    http://www.wine-searcher.com/redirec...ant_id_F=12257
    Well, I take it back, at up to 90 quid a bottle I could bring a few over in my luggage and pay for the trip.
    Last edited by Samhuntvic; 24-08-2016 at 02:48.
    Don't hide from your mates in the bush!

I'm sure that there are some great bottles from Australia, they just aren't to be found in ASDA!
    If you are totally happy with a 6 bottle from a supermarket, that's great, you are very lucky and you probably won't benefit from paying 25+ for a half decent bottle from a premium wine vendor.
    For me, supermarket wines under 10 have only ever reached BBQ quality (the stuff you take to a BBQ and let everyone else drink)

although ......"stop spending money when you can't tell the difference" ......... buy the best you can afford as long as you can still appreciate what you have paid for.
    I do find that a lot of people just drink cheap wine because they haven't experienced anything else. There is a whole world of fantastic wines out there to be enjoyed.