Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best expanding bullet for .308 1 in 12 twist.

Best expanding bullet for .308 1 in 12 twist.

As title really. I have a Bergara break barrel and it isn't shooting very accurately. Factory ammunition would shame a shotgun. Reloading is better but can only be sure of 2" groups at 110 yards. I've tried 150 grain SST, 155 grain A-Max, 168 grain A-Max as potential hunting rounds. I've also tried some Sierra FMJ 123 grain to see if it will take to lighter bullets but nothing seems to be doing the trick. Before I spend more on testing ammunition than the rifle cost, has anyone any recommendations (other than chucking the rifle in the river, which has been considered)

Try 165gr SST as well
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Hornady for sure! TAP rounds are superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
    As title really. I have a Bergara break barrel and it isn't shooting very accurately. Factory ammunition would shame a shotgun. Reloading is better but can only be sure of 2" groups at 110 yards. I've tried 150 grain SST, 155 grain A-Max, 168 grain A-Max as potential hunting rounds. I've also tried some Sierra FMJ 123 grain to see if it will take to lighter bullets but nothing seems to be doing the trick. Before I spend more on testing ammunition than the rifle cost, has anyone any recommendations (other than chucking the rifle in the river, which has been considered)
    If it's that bad with factory ammunition haven't you wondered about the rifle or the shooter rather than the ammunition?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Try 165gr SST as well
    Good advice.

My previous .308 loved 165gr SSTs. Regularly cloverleaf them.

Me and the barrel scattered 150gr SSTs to the four winds. Never better than an 1 1/2" and often around 2"
    Last edited by Alantoo; 18-08-2016 at 22:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    Hornady for sure! TAP rounds are superb.
    If your rifle doesn't shoot TAP rounds there is something wrong with it
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    If your rifle doesn't shoot TAP rounds there is something wrong with it
    +1
    edi

Hi,

2" @ 110 yards, that sounds like you have a problem that will not be fixed by replacing the bullets in you reloading process.

As for your question, I have a .308 1 in 12 twist, that i target shoot and hunt with. Target bullets are 168gn SMK and the hunting bullets are 165gn Nosler Accubond.

The target bullet produces a jagged hole at 100 yards and the hunting bullets are a clover leaf at 100 yards (prone, bipod & bag).

In your position, I would review my rifle and scope setup first.

I hope you resolve your problem.

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    Good advice.

My previous .308 loved 165gr SSTs. Regularly cloverleaf them.

Me and the barrel scattered 150gr SSTs to the four winds. Never better than an 1 1/2" and often around 2"
    I know 2" is not stellar accuracy, and I can understand the frustration of knowing that "better" is achievable, but I've never seen a muntjac yet with a 2" chest.
    My .303 stalking rifle performs consistently at 1 1/2", and I've taken munties with it at up to 170m.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

With it being a break barrel setup is it possible the hinge pins are allowing the barrel to move against the breech face on firing?
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care