Best expanding bullet for .308 1 in 12 twist.

Shootist

As title really. I have a Bergara break barrel and it isn't shooting very accurately. Factory ammunition would shame a shotgun. Reloading is better but can only be sure of 2" groups at 110 yards. I've tried 150 grain SST, 155 grain A-Max, 168 grain A-Max as potential hunting rounds. I've also tried some Sierra FMJ 123 grain to see if it will take to lighter bullets but nothing seems to be doing the trick. Before I spend more on testing ammunition than the rifle cost, has anyone any recommendations (other than chucking the rifle in the river, which has been considered)

As title really. I have a Bergara break barrel and it isn't shooting very accurately. Factory ammunition would shame a shotgun. Reloading is better but can only be sure of 2" groups at 110 yards. I've tried 150 grain SST, 155 grain A-Max, 168 grain A-Max as potential hunting rounds. I've also tried some Sierra FMJ 123 grain to see if it will take to lighter bullets but nothing seems to be doing the trick. Before I spend more on testing ammunition than the rifle cost, has anyone any recommendations (other than chucking the rifle in the river, which has been considered)

If it's that bad with factory ammunition haven't you wondered about the rifle or the shooter rather than the ammunition?

Hi,

2" @ 110 yards, that sounds like you have a problem that will not be fixed by replacing the bullets in you reloading process.

As for your question, I have a .308 1 in 12 twist, that i target shoot and hunt with. Target bullets are 168gn SMK and the hunting bullets are 165gn Nosler Accubond.

The target bullet produces a jagged hole at 100 yards and the hunting bullets are a clover leaf at 100 yards (prone, bipod & bag).

In your position, I would review my rifle and scope setup first.

I hope you resolve your problem.

Jeff.

Good advice.

My previous .308 loved 165gr SSTs. Regularly cloverleaf them.

Me and the barrel scattered 150gr SSTs to the four winds. Never better than an 1 1/2" and often around 2"
I know 2" is not stellar accuracy, and I can understand the frustration of knowing that "better" is achievable, but I've never seen a muntjac yet with a 2" chest.
My .303 stalking rifle performs consistently at 1 1/2", and I've taken munties with it at up to 170m.

With it being a break barrel setup is it possible the hinge pins are allowing the barrel to move against the breech face on firing?

Sounds like a rifle issue and Woodsmoke raises an interesting point. I use Sierra 150gr for target and hunting and can achieve under 0.5 moa on a good day with those and N140. Whilst a Munty doesn't need moa bullet placement, and most Munty shots are taken well inside 100 yds, I'm in the camp which prefers to have confidence in bullet placement as the animals we shoot deserve that. The kill zone may be reasonably large but with so many other variables, including maybe taking the shot off-hand (common with Munty where they may appear suddenly 50 yds to your front from cover leaving only seconds to assess and take the shot), you need to be sure of shot placement. 2 inches at 100 yds (ie 2moa) might be fine at 50 yds, but at between a 100 and 150, I wouldn't be using any rifle which wasn't capable of at least moa for hunting small quarry.

I know 2" is not stellar accuracy, and I can understand the frustration of knowing that "better" is achievable, but I've never seen a muntjac yet with a 2" chest.
My .303 stalking rifle performs consistently at 1 1/2", and I've taken munties with it at up to 170m.

My point was that the 15 grain difference between rounds from the same manufacturer seemed to make a huge difference from the same barrel. Very good with one but not with the other. The actual figures were as remembered without checking, may have been worse.

I agree of course for hunting at close range 2" on a 4 or 6" H&L area is obviously adequate theoretically.

But theory ain't all. I never used them for hunting because I lacked confidence in them. I could not "call the shots" with them on paper so they were not "consistent" like your .303. As I said though, it could well have been compounded by me being inconsistent as well as the barrel / bullet combination. :)

Alan

Thanks to all for the input. Having slogged away at it I decided on one last effort. On Sunday last I tried a few shots at 55 yards, this being the only range available on the day, and after one crap group all of a sudden I'm getting 1/2 to 1.5 MOA with factory that wouldn't previously perform at all, and with hand loads! I also asked a couple of known good shots to try the rifle out and they too were getting good groups. I can only think that the barrel perhaps had some sort of burr or flaw that shooting what is by now 100+ rounds has cured.

I am now confident enough in the rifle that I have ordered a sound moderator. Fingers crossed that the moderator will further improve accuracy if only by damping down what is an undeniably frisky rifle.

Back