Rut

DL

I know we'll be getting hunners of these threads over the next month or two, so I just wanted to be the first to ask : Has the roe rut started yet? :lol:

You have missed it.
i hope this years is better ,than last years then :D
mine did not really make an effort till 2nd week of august
and died out by the 3rd week
defo hope it gives me a chance, as i bought a new camera just incase;)

i hope this years is better ,than last years then :D
mine did not really make an effort till 2nd week of august
and died out by the 3rd week
defo hope it gives me a chance, as i bought a new camera just incase;)

like you found last year was a non event, couple of days activity third week of July, then nothing till 6th August.

Watched a buck chasing a doe two weeks ago, sat and watched them for 10 mins right down to the tight circles his neck was straight out,ithought he was going to mount her when he just switched off and started grazing....

Nell

ive seen a few bucks chasing does over the last few weeks but apparantly its called a false rut.( but never heard of it befor.)
i did see some activity the first week in july last year so i'll be out from next week looking

PE if its scotland you are probably correct most of the time were i am west scotland it is the first two weeks in August. There are signs before this and there will certainly be some territorial activity from the first weeks in July but the real rut were the does are very active in looking for a male normally fall in august. Sme of the lads i go out with will chase the rut from the first of july and start calling ,By the time it really starts they have already given up. Best of luck to you all and happy calling its a real buzz

Choc,

I'm on some new (to me) ground in Dumfries and Galloway. Should I expect the Roe Rut to be in August there.

Cheers,

Bob

Choc,

I'm on some new (to me) ground in Dumfries and Galloway. Should I expect the Roe Rut to be in August there.

Cheers,

Bob
All my stalking is in Dumfries and it usually is in the last week of July but I have noted it earlier especially is we get a few days of thunder it drives them mad and theirs no stopping them:D

just to throw in another question.if the bucks are chasing does at the moment in anticipation of them coming into season,would they not be able to call quite readily?
worth a try maybe

Mick calling now will have the effect normally of bringing in the doe you might be luckie and a young buck might come with her (risky) .But the big bucks the ones that have been out of reach of the average stalker know whats what and if you want him (thats what my ruts about) you will need to play the game and a doe will need to be in full flow. If he is interested and rumbles you then its over he wont come out again (lesson learned ):) JMHO

Watched a buck chasing a doe two weeks ago, sat and watched them for 10 mins right down to the tight circles his neck was straight out,ithought he was going to mount her when he just switched off and started grazing....

Nell
that sounds just like me these days give me stake and chips any day:old:

Back