Thread: Mobility scooter (car boot stowable) recommendations

Mobility scooter (car boot stowable) recommendations

Hi Guys, I am looking to purchase a new mobility scooter for my dad who is 81 this year, he gets very short of breath and can only now walk a short distance. I take him for a day out once a week and have resorted to pushing him around in a wheel chair for anything other than a minor walk.

I have seen quite a few OAP's zipping around on mobility scooters which are relatively small and compact. I am looking to purchase a good quality one with a decent range which can be taken apart and stored in a car boot.

I have looked at a few such as the Pride Go Go Elite traveller plus 4 (18Amp hour batteries), these are available through Lloyds chemists via better life healthcare ( eBay) for around 540 vat free.

incidently the small independant shops sell the exact same model for a couple of hundred pounds more which are also supposedly Vat free with the same warranty!

I would appreciate any recommendations or opinions of the above if you have experience of small mobility scooters (4 wheel)

many thanks.
    Last edited by paultap; 18-08-2016 at 22:05.

Quote Originally Posted by paultap View Post
    Hi Guys, I am looking to purchase a new mobility scooter for my dad who is 81 this year, he gets very short of breath and can only now walk a short distance. I take him for a day out once a week and have resorted to pushing him around in a wheel chair for anything other than a minor walk.

I have seen quite a few OAP's zipping around on mobility scooters which are relatively small and compact. I am looking to purchase a good quality one with a decent range which can be taken apart and stored in a car boot.

I have looked at a few such as the Pride Go Go Elite traveller plus 4 (18Amp hour batteries), these are available through Lloyds chemists via better life healthcare ( eBay) for around 540 vat free.

incidently the small independant shops sell the exact same model for a couple of hundred pounds more which are also supposedly Vat free with the same warranty!

I would appreciate any recommendations or opinions of the above if you have experience of small mobility scooters (4 wheel)

many thanks.
    That's what my wife uses, and my sister in law too... wifey is on her second now.. great little machine, she goes places she really shouldn't on it but it manages perfectly well.

Buy it as cheap as you can, the vat free thing is legit but IIRC only if your dad is registered disabled.

Great little scooter, highly recommended. Oh.. and, it will fit in the boot of an average car.. complete in a decent sized estate or 4x4 or it breaks down into 4 components for a normal boot.. The only car we have trouble with is my mum's Audi A1.. the boot is the size of an average handbag but it all goes in bar the seat which goes on her back seat.

I use a Luggie, it has a lithium battery and is good for about 9 miles. They really are only any good for shops and do not do well on rough ground, the real advantage of it to me is that there is no dismantling required it just folds down into a manageable size and fits into the boot of a car no bother.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Get him a Boma lol fantastic will tackle the roughest terrain these will climb mountains about fifteen hours from a battery spare can be carried.

Downside only two problems won't fit in a normal car need a van or pickup and the cost 9000 pus extras.

Thanks for the feedback guys, and thanks Vipa for confirming the GO GO is the right choice!

Quote Originally Posted by paultap View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys, and thanks Vipa for confirming the GO GO is the right choice!
    No worries... make sure it is the 4wheel version.. they do a 3 wheeler but I don't think it feels as stable