Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck guns & short barrels

Truck guns & short barrels

If a lad was pondering buying/building a truck friendly rifle with a short barrel, suitable up to roe in Scotland, what calibers have folks found to work well with short (16"-18" for example) barrels ?

Would an 18 inch .223 fit the bill ? Good truck gun size , good for foxes , good for roe and cheap to buy and feed

everyone's a winner

or or go for a 16 inch .308

My New 223 AICS rifle from Jager SA

I would fancy something similar to the above in .222 as a truck rifle.

Roe friendly if need be but durable set up for vermin.

.222 Sako vixen was my first rifle so lean towards .222 rather than .223 based only on some memorable stalks!

Regards

BP

I have just had 2 Blaser barrels one in .243 and the other in .308 chopped to 18". They handle amazing and velocity loss over 20" is negligible.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Brno combination 12 over .222. Short, cheap, accurate and you wont mind it bouncing around in the back of your vehicle. I do have one so speak from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Malxwal View Post
    If a lad was pondering buying/building a truck friendly rifle with a short barrel, suitable up to roe in Scotland, what calibers have folks found to work well with short (16"-18" for example) barrels ?
    You can choose between a small case and a small calibre or a larger case and a larger calibre.

A 222 or 223 chopped to 18" will do very well, particularly if hand loaded with fairly fast powder.

Alternatively, both the 7/08 and the 308 really lend themselves to a haircut with minimal performance loss.

Rounds like the 243 and 270 give up a fair bit of performance (relatively) if you chop them much below 22".
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

18" barrelled Handi Rifle in .222

Cheers folks. Gave up my .223 slot a while back by neglecting to put in for a replacement, but might ask for it back at upcoming renewal.
    Have a 20" .308 at the moment, but something even shorter would be very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    18" barrelled Handi Rifle in .222

A single shot ? I couldnt handle the controversy ! That looks a very handy thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Malxwal View Post
    A single shot ? I couldnt handle the controversy ! That looks a very handy thing though.
    the ejector is so powerful i just turn it round and send the case downrange for any follow up....