Thread: Loose moderator=missed fox

Loose moderator=missed fox

Well at long last got out on some stubble however its resembled Heathrow at night as baling stacking and hauling bales at same time so not really condicive of tackling some very well educated foxs. This was going on to nearly midnight. Weds eve was just about to get on a fox when it suddenly legged it, couldn't of seen or winded me only for a farmer workers 4x4 to come across field.

There is only one particular fox in this area and I had seen it off the combine so a bit annoyed. Last night out again and remaining stubble baled but still fetching in bales, spotted charlie on the thermal but he was not playing ball. Anyway culled a few rabbits with the .204. Had a txt from farmers son who had been out ratting so picked him up at 10 pm and off we went. No foxs so we had a few rabbits. This lad has just got a 6.5mm Creedmore and so wanted to have a go with my .204, his was v impressed, only issues in sharing rifle at night is that his eyes are completly different to mine so lots of scope altering.

Anyway he shot a couple of rabbits and on route home via a big stubble field we spot a fox. Now we have 40 + acres and it chooses to walk down a hedgerow adjacent to a lane with houses on the other side. We are completly out of position and cannot get a safe shot. Its just come out of the field when been in and was on route to a small holders duck pond.

Thats sods law. Anyway we check another big stubble field and its blank but on route home decide to have a quick squint on the field where we had seen charlie. Nothing on first look and then I drive down the middle and stop. Farmers son says there is a rabbit down by the hedge so we get lined up and hop on the back of the truck.. I had a look through the thermal and looks like strange rabbit to me as its clamped down. I pass the thermal back get ready to shoot and its now become a fox and its making a very hasty exit left. I get on it give a squeak and it stops, game over except no strike. Can't believe it , missed it at about 120yds, side on, just doesn't happen. Ok the scope was a fraction out of PA but shouldn't of missed, very annoyed to say the least as undoubtly it was the fox we had seen about 30 mins before.

Anyway unloaded rifle and as put in slip felt moddy, couldn't believe it as it was loose!!!!

Only 1/4 turn but had that been the cause I wonder (its an Evolution) with a .223 baffle stack, so a bit more clearance than the .20 cal stack.

I can only presume that whilst shooting bunnies the moddy had come loose.

So another lesson learnt and now a v wary fox to dispatch.

D

I use a T8 on a 270 and have had no problems with this one coming loose. However the previous T8 used to come loose if I had fired a few shot in rapid succession. I got into the habit of checking for this.

I shot a number of .222 load development rounds before I realised the mod was loose.

none of the POI would have missed a fox at 120yds though.
    Anything is possible and it may have been one factor in a number of field related ones but I would be surprised if it would shift your POI by more than an inch or two at the most

Had it happen to me when i went to WMS range in Wales, we were shooting out to 400 yards and suddenly my shots were all over the place. one of the first thing the instructor checked was the the mod, happens a lot apparently.

I'm sure you will get him next time, he does sound like a crafty bugger so good luck.

We've all been there, David!

I'm glad it's not just me. I had a similar experience. Acurracy was appauling. Put everything away and discovered the Moderator was loose. I would like to think it won't happen to either of us again.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I shot a number of .222 load development rounds before I realised the mod was loose.

none of the POI would have missed a fox at 120yds though.
    Anything is possible and it may have been one factor in a number of field related ones but I would be surprised if it would shift your POI by more than an inch or two at the most
    Had the same with my 308 during a comp but only about 3/4 inch of at 100 yds so would have still dropped a fox
    ( boiler room shot) only thing to do is tighten mod and check zero
    Cheers
    Ray