Thread: Hornady's .17 WSM

Hornady's .17 WSM

Hi, will this round work in a .17 HMR or is a new rifle required ? here it's very good caliber.

Ir's completely different and cannot be used in a 17HMR.
    At the moment, only Savage, Winchester and Ruger make rifles chambered for it and they are extremely rare in the UK - mainly because the ammo is well nigh impossible to find.
    The Savage BMag is the most common and it's generally regarded as a pretty dreadful rifle.
    Both the Winchester low wall and the Ruger cost stupid money
    In principle it's a very good calibre - a rimfire cartridge with a muzzle velocity of over 3000fps with a 17 grain pill, but the problem is that to get that performance, normal 22 and 17HMR rimfires cannot be chambered for the 17WSM because it generates a much higher pressure.
    That means a new action has to be designed and manufactured for the 17WSM and all the European manufacturers have already stated that they will not support the calibre.

Cheers

Bruce

New rifle unfortunately. The case is slightly larger.

Thanks all, i thought it was to good to be true.

Also, all the reports I've seen to date suggest accuracy isn't good enough to exploit the extra energy at ranges beyond what the HMR can cover.

In any case, to my mind at least rimfires are about keeping costs down for high volume shooting (so in the UK just rabbits and perhaps corvids or hares but almost certainly not foxes) so as you step up a quarry size your ammo requirement falls and small centrefire cartridges such as the .17HH, .17RFB, .17Rem, .204 Ruger, etc. make more sense than a supersized rimfire.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by mealiejimmy View Post
    Ir's completely different and cannot be used in a 17HMR.
    At the moment, only Savage, Winchester and Ruger make rifles chambered for it and they are extremely rare in the UK - mainly because the ammo is well nigh impossible to find.
    The Savage BMag is the most common and it's generally regarded as a pretty dreadful rifle.
    Both the Winchester low wall and the Ruger cost stupid money
    In principle it's a very good calibre - a rimfire cartridge with a muzzle velocity of over 3000fps with a 17 grain pill, but the problem is that to get that performance, normal 22 and 17HMR rimfires cannot be chambered for the 17WSM because it generates a much higher pressure.
    That means a new action has to be designed and manufactured for the 17WSM and all the European manufacturers have already stated that they will not support the calibre.

Cheers

Bruce

Not true anymore, people are now stocking the savages and the ammo, 2 different RFDs within 10 miles of me have both in stock. Quite tempted but not read a lot of good things about the calibre, ideally I'd like someone I know to buy one so I can try it!