Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .270 & recoil

.270 & recoil

Hi all
    I have been thinking for a while of getting something bigger than a .243 and I thought a .270 could be a good round as I'm planning a few trips for red and fallow.
    The problem for me is several people who I have spoken to say that the 270 is a horrible round to shoot. Can anyone give me any info?
    I was told that the 270 is a fairly flat shooting round but only having had a .223 and .243 I don't have vast experience of other calibres.
    Maybe I should look at something totally different.
    Regards Dan

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Dan,
    My wife sometimes shoots a few rounds at a target with my .270 & often gets great groups..some very good groups actually...puts mine shame lol.
    She's lightweight & doesn't find recoil a problem.
    Correct technique & a decent mod is all you need.
    I think this reputation comes from early days with fierce powders or so u was told but I wouldn't let this put you off.
    I love the .270!

Quote Originally Posted by danban View Post
    Hi all
    I have been thinking for a while of getting something bigger than a .243 and I thought a .270 could be a good round as I'm planning a few trips for red and fallow.
    The problem for me is several people who I have spoken to say that the 270 is a horrible round to shoot. Can anyone give me any info?
    I was told that the 270 is a fairly flat shooting round but only having had a .223 and .243 I don't have vast experience of other calibres.
    Maybe I should look at something totally different.
    Regards Dan

I have both, yes it does kick a bit but it is a big round!! If you shot one all day with a hard butt plate wearing only a tee shirt on then yes you might well notice it.

At best you might fire 2/3 shots all day on a trip!! 3 rounds a go while setting it up then a bit of time for the gun to cool down etc.

At 2-1 on a days pigeon shooting a 100 birds will nearly use up a slab over 4/5 hours so those who whinge about the kick need to get down the gym......lol

Get what you what, just don't get what other people cant do.........!!

One other thing a long time shooter told me....the round is the cheapest part of your days shooting by far....

Tim.243
    Last edited by Tim.243; 20-08-2016 at 06:15.
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Hi Tim
    Do you like the .270 ? The reason I'm asking is because people I speak to say that they are horrible.
    Reading on here people seem divided on them

It's no worse or better than any of the mid range cartridges.

In a heavy rifle that fits you well, with good technique and a thick jacket, it's essentially impossible to notice a difference from a .243. In a light rifle that fits you badly, wearing only a tee shirt, and it's horrible.

The modern preference for very light rifles with short barrels is against you here: they amplify the recoil.

I have two 270s, both heavy, long barreled beasts, and I shoot them unmoderated. Both are a joy to shoot.

To illustrate: last week I guided a novice into her first deer. She was quite slight, and was worried about the recoil. But when it came to it, she said she didn't notice it at all.

To put it in persoective: a 270 has about the same as a 20 bore shotgun.

There really is nothing to be afraid of - but make damn sure you get a rifle that fits you, and either put a moderator on it or get one with a long barrel.

They are not that bad , yes have a tad more recoil but then so do most if the correct placement in the shoulder is not used ? so practice and it no worse than a shot gun with a light fowling load they group very well , as any 270 owner will tell you they are a top cal for anything that walks in its path , a pal I know put's them down the same hole time after time I use a 280 ack and has slight less recoil but hay ho I also used to shoot 338 lap and .50 so any are pussycats after them two , key word practice your mount and recoil wont bother you any more, worrying about it will make you flinch and put you off the shoot ?

Hi Tim
    Do you like the .270 ? The reason I'm asking is because people I speak to say that they are horrible.

Get yourself a 7mm-08 much better calibre by a country mile if you intend heavy use. If you are firing the odd round it's academic and maybe the folk who say its 'horrible' are recoil shy as it does have a bit of a kick.
    I have no data to prove it but from speaking to folk over the past five years or so, the 270 is nowhere near as popular.
    Twenty or thirty years ago,every farmer, stalker and his son had a 270 not the same today.

Hi Tim

Dan, It groups very well with factory rounds and to be honest I take no notice of any recoil, as I posted previously what ever you have in a large calibre it will kick.

I am 55 and been shooting since I was 12, I focus on what is out in front not what is pushing my shoulder backwards.

If you want a " Yes " then you have one, I love my .243 and am warming to the .270.

Out of 7, four still use a .243 the other calibres are .270 6.5x55 25-06 .280 .308 !! lol

Tim,243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

I usually find any negativity about .270 usually starts with "my mate said or I've heard", I like it as a round and as already mentioned, with a mod fitted and correct technique it will cause no problem. Factory rounds are usually on the shelf of most RFDs, if you reload you may have less choice of bullet than other calibres, which was the reason I switched to .308

It's all in the drop at heel and pitch and whether you shoot standing or prone. Most 'classic' 270's were made with stocks designed for standing shooting, but brought out on the hill they felt like a 458 Lott because the heel was the only thing touching the collar bone. This can make the most tame calibre feel violent and put any shooter off.

if you think a 270 kicks hard it's either because of really bad technique, stock design, or inexperience using more mature calibres as a 270 is a pussycat compared to many other regular medium/large game rounds

There are two types of shooters - the fulfilled and successful ones - with a 7 X 57 and those poor souls who have not yet decided to get one!