Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako Optilock bases: different types?

Sako Optilock bases: different types?

Just trying to get my head around something here, hopefully someone familiar with Sako will be able to explain this to me.

Looking at online images of Sako Optilock set-ups, and with regard to the forward base + ring, I've noticed the following. In some cases the ring is positioned at the forward end of the base, while in others it's to the rear, as in these 2 images:

I presume Optilock bases come in different types, with a drilling for the ring either to the front or to the rear, and the appropriate one is chosen according on the action length, the length of the mounting area on the scope, and maybe other factors I'm not aware of. I know there are other Optilock bases that cantilever out over the bolt opening, but this question doesn't concern these.

I can't find any reference to, or mention of, the availability of 2 different Optilock base types, as in the images above, anywhere. Can anyone enlighten me on this? (I've probably overlooked some very simple and obvious explanation!)
    Last edited by Sako75Hunter; 20-08-2016 at 12:35.

Optilock bases do indeed come in either Short or Long to cater for the differing action lengths /scope tube dimensions etc

Yup some are for short action ,long actions, tikka m558 -TRG forward ring mount, extended that come over the ejection port ,Sako QM ,oh and weaver mount just to add that in the mix ?
    Then the one's that are not Sako but will fit NOW the list is growing lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sako75Hunter View Post
    (I've probably overlooked some very simple and obvious explanation!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wsm View Post
    Optilock bases do indeed come in either Short or Long to cater for the differing action lengths /scope tube dimensions etc
    Many thanks Wsm!

Interestingly, your top pic seems to show the 'short' bases on a long action, and the lower pic has the 'long' bases on a short action - which just goes to show that, as long at it works with your 'scope set-up, it doesn't matter a great deal.

The main thing to note is that when using the bases/rings, the rear edge of the forward base should be level with the front of the receiver opening, as in the second pic.

You can also get the ring mounts which are one piece rather than bases and rings, and don't forget the reach back mounts for the magnum actions which put the front ring over the loading port.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Interestingly, your top pic seems to show the 'short' bases on a long action, and the lower pic has the 'long' bases on a short action - which just goes to show that, as long at it works with your 'scope set-up, it doesn't matter a great deal.

The main thing to note is that when using the bases/rings, the rear edge of the forward base should be level with the front of the receiver opening, as in the second pic.
    After Msm's clarification I realised that my (very short action) Sako 75 in .223 is fitted with long action bases. The bases came with the (second-hand) rifle, so I would have used them anyway, even had I known they were the worng ones, given the exorbitant price of new ones. However, to get the proper eye relief on the scope I had to set the forward base about 3/8" forward of the receiver opening.

As far as I'm aware this has never caused any problems in any way, so I'm curious as to why you say the rear of the front base should be level with the opening? I thought the whole idea of the Sako tapered dove-tail was that by moving the front base forwards or backwards when zeroing, you could very roughly adjust the windage and get it in the ballpark area before making finer adjustments by moving the scope reticle?
    Last edited by Sako75Hunter; 20-08-2016 at 15:56.

Never heard of that before,have always fixed mounts and scope rigid before zeroing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Never heard of that before,have always fixed mounts and scope rigid before zeroing.
    I did the same as you when I was zeroing the above rifle/scope. I'm just saying this because, if true, there isn't really any 'correct' position for the front base along the receiver rail in relation to the ejection port, although theoretically somewhere in the middle would be best.

Optilock bases and rings are machined from a solid block of steel, Cr-Mo alloy or stainless, just like our rifles. The front bases have a solid angled left side and a similarly angled right side with a clamping device. This base design connected to Sako rifle“s integral dovetail rail allows you to adjust the horizontal position of the scope objective end without touching the scope adjustment.
    http://www.sako.fi/scope-mounts