Thread: Cramps/fits

Cramps/fits

My wee sprocker just took a funny turn, had been perfectly normal, playing about with the lab, next thing she's shaking badly and unable to walk properly for about five minutes. Came right after that, moving slightly gingerly at the back end but back to normal.
    Ive seen spaniels fitting through too much exertion on not enough food/water, and it is approaching feeding time, but she's certainly not been over exerting by her normal standards.
    Any experiences of similar events and potential issues ?

Quote Originally Posted by Malxwal View Post
    My wee sprocker just took a funny turn, had been perfectly normal, playing about with the lab, next thing she's shaking badly and unable to walk properly for about five minutes. Came right after that, moving slightly gingerly at the back end but back to normal.
    Ive seen spaniels fitting through too much exertion on not enough food/water, and it is approaching feeding time, but she's certainly not been over exerting by her normal standards.
    Any experiences of similar events and potential issues ?
    My old springer has had similar turns. Head shaking and staggering along. I was told they were mini strokes. But that in dogs they were not nearly as serious as in people.

Holly had her first one upon waking up having been sleeping in front of the fire over a year ago. Made a full recovery within ten minutes.

She has had a couple since and has recovered each time.

Take her to the vet just to make sure.

Alan

I had three incidents with our last dog, where for largely no apararent reason it started yelping.
    Like that it rear end seemed a bit stiff and its left rear leg seemed to be painful.
    First time was in puppy class not long after a friend had his springer's cruciate ligament done and I thought I was in for a big vet bill
    A bit of TLC and a wee massage it was right as rain.

Hope your's is ok

Sounds like epilepsy, my lab had it. They used to come in lots of three sometimes days sometimes weeks apart once or twice a year never did him any harm. Makes you panic the first time you see it happen though!

It does indeed. She's about five and a bit now, we've had her since she was about nine months old, of unknown origin as she was a rescue mutt, probably discarded due to her size or tendency to yelp when excited. Tonight was definitely a first, nothing out of ordinary for her and year old lab to be rolling about together, then this, off her back legs, shaking and staring straight like she was blind. Seems 100% now, meal wolfed down and running about with the other two again, but a visit to Dr Doolittle tomorrow methinks.
    Last edited by Malxwal; 21-08-2016 at 20:18.

Max used to panic as he lost his senses, could hear but not walk, or see. Just used to sit down with him till he was better. Spoke to my vet about it, he said until it starts affecting his day to day life just leave him be. Nature has a way of coping!

Sounds like epilepsy, but remember unless your dog is with you 24/7 they maybe having these episodes unknown to you and the frequency maybe higher. Best get her checked out, they can be dangerous if they start coming too close together.

Well the vet reckons it was probably just a bad cramp or muscle spasm triggered by over enthusiastic playing. My detailed description of events did not have the characteristics of either an epileptic episode or a mini stroke.
    Just have to keep an eye on her in case it happens again.
    An aside is thst she has lost weight since her last visit when we were told she was slightly under weight, so time for a change of food perhaps.

That sounds good news.

Thank you for the update.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    That sounds good news.

Thank you for the update.

Alan
    Thanks, can only keep an eye on her now. Busy wee dog, only has two gears, curled up and really fast.