Recommend me a .308 sound moderator please.

Shootist

As above. The thread is 5/8" UNEF which seems to be a bit less popular. A reflex or compact version would be preferred. It needn't be a lightweight model. A make that allows for a thread change would be preferred, but probably not essential. All the better if I don't have to sell a kidney to afford it.

TIA

As above. The thread is 5/8" UNEF which seems to be a bit less popular. A reflex or compact version would be preferred. It needn't be a lightweight model. A make that allows for a thread change would be preferred, but probably not essential. All the better if I don't have to sell a kidney to afford it.

TIA
Shootist, Jacksons supply the compact Jet Z 30 cal. mod. which has various thread inserts to suit all threads. This is a heavy mod for putting a lot of rounds through. They supply others to suit your needs and budget....

Shootist, Jacksons supply the compact Jet Z 30 cal. mod. which has various thread inserts to suit all threads. This is a heavy mod for putting a lot of rounds through. They supply others to suit your needs and budget....

Thanks for that.. I'll check out the site.

Other recommendations will be appreciated also.

I use a Dpt over barrel mod for my .308 and a Dpt mod forward mounting for my 30-06.
Very light and reasonable price too.

I have a Schultz and Larsen Venom - Its compact, lightweight and effective.

Still dont like using it though ;) But thats just because I dont like the look of them!

I like the wildcat evolution - good value and very well made.

The DPT looks very good though, and I've heard good reports of them.

I use a hardy gen4 about 300g over barrel and doesn't upset balance. They are not the quietest but tames recoil and maintains the sight picture . I know the Gen 5 model doesn't have the muzzle break openings like mine, but I've no idea how they perform.
A few friends are using Hausken and are very light and good suppression but bigger than the hardy. I hate the extra lenght of any mod unless the barrel is short . This season I'm going to try electronic ear muffs instead of a can and see how that goes.No experience of some of the others names mentioned. I still think the jetz and the old reflex take some beating if it sound suppression your after, but are so heavy!!

Last edited:
I used an ASE UTRA SL5 for a few seasons on two .308's, a Sako 85 varmint and a Remington custom rifle. both were 20" barrels and the mod didn't unbalance them too much.

I'm about to buy one if the new SL5i mods, an updated model that saves about 60grammes over the old SL5. I won't go back to over barrel, alloy mods again.

I was speaking to a friend of mine who is a custom rifle builder up here and supplies several makes of mods. His opinion makes sense. Alloy is not as resilient as steel to the corrosive gases produced when firing and an over the barrel mod with an expansion chamber actually retains the gas within and against the barrel material for longer.

The SL5i is only adding 103mm to the length of the rifle and weighs 335g

I have a Schultz and Larsen Venom - Its compact, lightweight and effective.

Still dont like using it though ;) But thats just because I dont like the look of them!
Schultz and Larsen mention 5/8" thread options on their site.

I know the Gen 5 model doesn't have the muzzle break openings like mine, but I've no idea how they perform.
Steve Beaty has a picture of a moderator with a muzzle brake inside that had blown the side off the moderator. Not one that he supplied and not one that has been already mentioned in this thread, so I believe.

Well i can vouch for the Third Eye Spartan. Even with the muzzle brake, it has stood up to well over 3000 rounds through it, a lot of them hot 338LM loads.
The baffles, apart from being covered in carbon, have no visual wear through gas cutting.

Would i buy another ? Nope, not till this one finally gives up the ghost, then I'll replace it with another, fits all my rifles up to 338.

Many thanks to all who have contributed, you have all been a great help. I have decided upon a Wildcat Evolution. It ticks all the right boxes for me and the price is right.

+1 for Aimsport. Lifetime guarantee. Speak to Steve Beaty at Ivythorn. I bought mine from him and his service and advice is second to none. He's recently started offering the DPT and rates these highly. My Aimsport can be switched across different threads quite easily by changing the front plate.

Back