What do you think to these two rifles?

groach1234

Right as you are probably now aware i am after my first stalking rifle and i have been put in touch with this dealer by the person i booked the stalking through as he has a good stock of left handed rifles (including a .375 if only i had the money and use for one). He is coming to the CLA next month and said he will hold them for me until then. The two i have narrowed it down to with him are first of all:

243 Remington 700 BDL he tells me it is in very good condition and looks as if it has hardly been used and has an good bore and very nice trigger. He is asking £625 and it comes with 1inch leupold rings and is not screw cut. I think there should be some wiggle room in here and would i suppose look offering around £550 there or there abouts. Is this what the rifle is worth or am i judging it all wrong?

243.jpg

Next is a Sauer 200 in .270 asking £975 he says it has had more use than the Remington but has been well looked after with a good barrel and a very good trigger as you would expect on a Sauer. This is also not screw cut and comes with 1 inch Weaver rings. Now this is getting top end of what i would want to spend and to be honest i think a .270 is maybe not as appropriate a caliber for my dad to day use although i know the Sauer is a good make of rifle and something to be trusted. So what are your thoughts on this?

270.jpg

243-270.jpg

I like the idea of the 700 as Staffordshire synthetics do an off the rack so to speak left handed stock for the 700 and that would be good for use around the farm foxing and also i like the idea of one ;)

So what are your lots thoughts on these two rifles. I have filled out the forms for .243 but could easily stick a .270 on as well :lol: i am just waiting on a couple of letters to confirm i have been stalking and booked more stalking and it will be off.

George

Last edited:
I would guess that you need to handle them yourself to see how they feel to you, only you can tell if a rifle really suits and fits you. On balance the Sauer would be my pick from the lot but if you feel that 270 will be a bit OTT for yourself or your dad, and it does have a load more recoil than the 243, then it would be better to have a rifle you both can shoot well rather than one you are uncomfortable with. However, all bets are off if the 243 just plain didn't fit either of you.

It would be worth doing the rounds and handling a few more rifles and getting a feel for what suits, if you are a member of a rifle club then try to shoot some club rifles, or get a shot with rifles belonging to other members if possible. Also if you have stalking booked then shoot with the estate rifle and ask some questions about it, I'm sure you will get lots of useful opinions and a feel for what suits you and it is a great way to test the waters.

Either way don't rush into a decision until you've tried the options as a rifle is something you are going to spend a lot of hours with, mostly carrying it but none the less, so even if you are excited at the prospect don't let that drive you to making a decision before all options have been examined.

As Jingzy

Says too much money, you could get a new remm'y for not much more and I have a set of 700 1" rings you could have, shop around and wait you will find something.

ATB

Tahr

Jingzy has it right. That is an old Remmie, it is well over priced, 90% of potential buyers would be viewing that rifle as a donor for a semi custom build. The Sauer is nice, but also old, probably 20 years old. The mounts on it are rubbbish. It is also over priced, by about £200, you could pick up a SH fresh synthetic 202 for that sort of money. Also, if you look to add a barrel to the Sauer, it will need a new bolt as 243 Sauer bolts are not compatible with the larger calibres - different lug arrangement, for reasons no one can understand.

The 270 Jingzy listed is a much better buy, as is the LH 308 I listed on the earlier thread.

Thanks if i were to go for a larger caliber i would be tempted by 308 due to relative availability of that left handed sako near enough that i would drive to it. I may just wait for the fair as i may be able to pick something good up there new or second hand :thumb:

George

Whilst as pointed out both are over priced. The Remington being old is not a drawback but probably a positive as their quality control has certainly dropped rather than got better. An older Remington 700 is probably far better made than a new one. At least is has proper wood rather than that god awful fuggly plastic ;) although being a 700 I still would not give it house room.

It seems that dealer is rather hoping in his pricing overall and I would be looking to go elsewhere ;). Dealers like that I use only when there is no other choice which is not very often.

Waaay over priced for both of them.

There is (was last week) a Sauer 202 in .243 on gunntrader with a moderator for £950 ish i think

Steer clear unless the prices come down

Mental money for a used Remmy, but as you say make him an offer and if not walk away , there are loads about in 243.

Okay then they are over priced so what should i realistically be looking to get them for assuming they are in top condition?

George

George, I would pay no more than £350 - £400 (and only that if the trigger is good) for the Remmie. This would be with a view to getting it rebarrelled and restocked. I might put a synthetic stock on it first and live with the barrel for a while.

The Sauer is worth no more than £700 - £750. If you like it, buy it and live with it as it is. There is no big market for old rifles like these, particularly lefties. There is maybe a better market for the Remington simply as a donor action for a build. If you fancy the Sauer, bid him about £600 and see if he bites.

If that Remmington had the bolt on the correct side it would be on the rack for £295 and sit there for five years in the company of several others. The guy is trying to pull your pants down because of the restricted market for southpaw rifles. I have no experience of Sauers so can't comment on that. Go to the Game fair and have a look, most of the dealers that go bung in a couple of L/H's, a couple of Lever actions, maybe a pump etc just to make the display interesting. JC

Last edited:
I love Sauers and they are a finished product but a 200 with a fair bit of useI would go with CD estimate 600 and let him push you to £ 650 MAX Remmie i just wouldnt bother there are loads of old ones going to the sales every week.

You are right whats £300 in a rifle that will be had for many years and shoot many deer. I will go to the show open minded and also probably apply for a .243 and .308 and if there is a .308 thats a lefty and a steal i will snap it up but also go to view the .243 and see where he is at with the price. Ideally i will go along on the friday and find a left handed blaser with .243 and .308 barrel that some one is try to shift for £600 :rofl: you can dream.

George

If that Remmington had the bolt on the correct side it would be on the rack for £295 and sit there for five years in the company of several others. The guy is trying to pull your pants down because of the restricted market for southpaw rifles.
I'd have expressed it slightly differently but would agree 100% with the above. You can pretty much bet that the dealer didn't pay anything like that for it!

I'd really seriously check out all the auction sites - Holts, Bonhams, Gavin Gardiner and maybe Scotarms and Southams. They all have this sort of stuff and if you are the only bidder on the day interested in it you'll pay not a lot.

Some "sharp" people will also do a search entering Remington Left Handed 243 and find one listed as new on "www.gunstar.co.uk" for £730.

Gavin Gardiner sold at £600 a Heym with Zeiss 4 x 32 'scope in Apel type mounts in April 2010. The "glass" alone is £200 value and the mounts about £100! Makes you Remington look poor value indeed.

View attachment 1572

Gavin Gardiner had an unsold left hand 300 Win Mag Tikka in the same sale.

Holts have - lot 3609 in the July Sealed Bid Sale a left hand Mauser Totan in 25-06. Guide £300 to £500. So at 22% commission if you bid £310 you'd be looking at an final price of £380 or so.

I've no idea what a Mauser Titan is like nor do I think much of the 25-06 calibre but some people think it about the British ideal if you handload.

Last edited:
George,

When did you say you had your stalking trip booked for?

August 7th-14th ideally i would want the rifle a week or two before to get to know it punching paper.

The more i think about it the more i am struggling to justify trying to do it all with a .243 i know it will kill a red stag but i think i would be more comfortable with a bigger round. Think i may look into something like .223 or .22-250 for fox and if i do any munties and then something like a .270, .308, 6.5x55 or 7x57 (maybe a little big) for a deer gun I like the money side of having one set up but i'm am not sure if i am making to much of a compramise compromise i will have to just keep thinking how many time a year i will go stalking to justify a sole deer gun or if a .243 is the best route :rolleyes::doh:

George

George

George

Back