Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: compressed loads

compressed loads

The question is how compressed is compressed,loading 243 with 58gr vmax with ramshot hunter. The reload data gives 52gr as max but I carnt see how you can get more than 50gr in the case,so hows that work? Any knowledge greatfully received.

I'm not sure how you're filling the case but you can try varying the speed at which you fill the case. I can usually get more powder in the case if I drop the powder in fast with my Lee perfect powder measure. You could also resort to a drop tube for better filling.

I use Ramshot Hunter in my .270 and load the case pretty full up to the base of the neck. With Xterminator in my .222 I load the case fuller and it compresses a lot when seating the bullet.

Get a drop tube if it won't fit
    or change powder

three of my loads are compressed and the crunch that the 208gr makes when squeezing 80gr of h1000 back into the 300wm case is most satisfying.

fwiw none of these loads are remotely hot, slower powders and only at this level due to the accuracy found during development

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    the crunch that the 208gr makes when squeezing 80gr of h1000 back into the 300wm case is most satisfying.
    The Lee stated max' load for my .270 with 4831 is 60gr (from memory though, so for gods sake don't anyone take that as gospel!). I don't load it any longer as I prefer the softer 54gr load you suggested some time back. You're right about that 'crunch' though. I about crapped myself when I first loaded it
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

SD Regular
    A drop tube can reduce a load, as it were, by about 2 to 3 grains in some cases. So that your 52 grain load settles and only takes up the volume occupied by a 50 grain load thrown by your usual method.

Also gentle agitating the loading tray by shaking it from side to side whilst it remains in contact with your table top can reduce a load by 1 grain in terms of the volume it occupies.

And the usual practice of throwing ten charges and dumping them straight away back in the hopper to settle the powder is good practice. Last some blackpowder cartridge guys in the US use two foot long drop tubes!

I hold the funnel, case and scale pan as one unit and tap it on a woodblock as I tilt the pan to trickle in the powder.

It sometimes makes the dogs bark because they think it it a tap on the door, but apart from that seems to help pack the powder down a bit.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    The Lee stated max' load for my .270 with 4831 is 60gr (from memory though, so for gods sake don't anyone take that as gospel!). I don't load it any longer as I prefer the softer 54gr load you suggested some time back. You're right about that 'crunch' though. I about crapped myself when I first loaded it
    thats a 300 win mag load above

only my 100gr .270 load is compressed the 130gr is 54.5gr

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    thats a 300 win mag load above
    Yes. I was merely putting my comment in the proper context, rather than offering any load advice
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

You could try the electric toothbrush trick!
    After putting the powder into the case, put your finger over the top of the case to prevent any powder from coming out.
    Switch on the electric tooth brush and "massage" the case with it so that the powder vibrates and settles inside the case.
    I've done this with 42 grain loads of RS60 in a 22-250 case and it works a treat.

Cheers

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by mealiejimmy View Post
    You could try the electric toothbrush trick!
    After putting the powder into the case, put your finger over the top of the case to prevent any powder from coming out.
    Switch on the electric tooth brush and "massage" the case with it so that the powder vibrates and settles inside the case.
    I've done this with 42 grain loads of RS60 in a 22-250 case and it works a treat.

Cheers

Bruce
    This a trick i've been using for years. Works perfectly.
    Alternatively, anything handy that vibrates at a reasonably high frequency (ahem) will do nicely