Thread: Missed fox part 2

Missed fox part 2

Well after Thursdays error was out again on Friday eve on a big stubble field, wind was all wrong so big detour to get to far end. As it happens on route could have shot 2 roe bucks, first was a lovely young 6 pointer who was too good to shoot and watched at 60 yds for 5 mins, later on came across a much older v dark buck on patrol, he was left. Anyway foray proved fruitless on charlie front. So short drive over to the scene of Thursdays mis hap. Stubble devoid of life so across lane into next stubble. Park on bottom hedge in shaddow as very big bright moon has risen. As I park up I clock fox coming across field. Watch with thermal and then get on rifle out of slip, on back and fox has simply vanished. I must of had my eyes off it for 20 secs max. Then I find it 200+ yds across field coming across field. Quick drive up field into shaddow of lone oak abut just cannot get on it. It crosses field and starts to go down hedge where it initial came from, drive across field get in position but charlie has moved and shot is not safe, just cannot believe it. Anyway it proceeds to exit field through hedge.

I had a drive arround and nothing not a bunny to be seen. On route back see a bunny in the fielsd so decide it needs to go, nedless to say it moves so up the field it goes, I follow but prior to taking the shot I notice a much larger shape behind it. Ignore rabbit and drive slowly up the hedgline in the shaddow. Whatever it is is in a tramline and just cannot get a positive ID. Though scope and torch its a badger, bugger. Anyway quick scan throught thermal reveals basil traveling along the bottom hedge, shot not safe, its puprosly travelling towards the far corner gate and I am sure its going to cross the lane ito the other stubble. Very bummpy drive acroos stubble to top gate down lane and pull into gatwey, right I thinks this fox will be going down the hedge to the pond . Sure enough thermal shows fox trotting down hedge, on back rifle out , fox wont stop, resort to very big squak, fox turns broadside and game over with the sound of a solid strike. 120yds out I pick up a dead vixen.

Must say sense of ellation as its without doubt the one I had missed the night before and was shot at 10:20 pm almost exactly the same time as we saw it the night previously.

It was a small but very solid vixen so chickens and ducks a little safer for a while.

D

Great read, thanks for posting it!
    Sometimes it's the more "challenging" ones that "test your skills (And sometimes your patience) which give you greater satisfaction in the knowledge that it's "a job well done"!

I also missed a fox the other week, my rifle also doubles as an estate rifle for clients, have had a few missed bucks by clients of late its becoming a habit must stop lending my rifle it never knew how to miss until it was taught to do so by clients.

Good feeling when a plan comes together and you get a result
    I know at the end of the day we are there to shot foxes but when you have to plan an 'ambush' or 'stalk' on a fox then the feeling when you get a result is much better.
    Just had a call from the keeper saying they are cutting more grass now so will be out tonight also have made a decoy fox out of MDF with roadway cats eyes in for effect and will be placing that out with trail camera over it to see if the bunny bashers that are out tomorrow night fall for it

Well done, David - persistence paid off in the end! I had one of the hardest sessions of my life the other evening - as I drove onto the chicken farm I was looking after that night, there was a fox in the exact gateway I was planning to stop in. To cut a very long story short, it took me two hours of chasing it back and forth - with both a very bright moon and a strong, blustery wind to contend with, before I finally dropped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Well after Thursdays error was out again on Friday eve on a big stubble field, wind was all wrong so big detour to get to far end. As it happens on route could have shot 2 roe bucks, first was a lovely young 6 pointer who was too good to shoot and watched at 60 yds for 5 mins, later on came across a much older v dark buck on patrol, he was left. Anyway foray proved fruitless on charlie front. So short drive over to the scene of Thursdays mis hap. Stubble devoid of life so across lane into next stubble. Park on bottom hedge in shaddow as very big bright moon has risen. As I park up I clock fox coming across field. Watch with thermal and then get on rifle out of slip, on back and fox has simply vanished. I must of had my eyes off it for 20 secs max. Then I find it 200+ yds across field coming across field. Quick drive up field into shaddow of lone oak abut just cannot get on it. It crosses field and starts to go down hedge where it initial came from, drive across field get in position but charlie has moved and shot is not safe, just cannot believe it. Anyway it proceeds to exit field through hedge.

I had a drive arround and nothing not a bunny to be seen. On route back see a bunny in the fielsd so decide it needs to go, nedless to say it moves so up the field it goes, I follow but prior to taking the shot I notice a much larger shape behind it. Ignore rabbit and drive slowly up the hedgline in the shaddow. Whatever it is is in a tramline and just cannot get a positive ID. Though scope and torch its a badger, bugger. Anyway quick scan throught thermal reveals basil traveling along the bottom hedge, shot not safe, its puprosly travelling towards the far corner gate and I am sure its going to cross the lane ito the other stubble. Very bummpy drive acroos stubble to top gate down lane and pull into gatwey, right I thinks this fox will be going down the hedge to the pond . Sure enough thermal shows fox trotting down hedge, on back rifle out , fox wont stop, resort to very big squak, fox turns broadside and game over with the sound of a solid strike. 120yds out I pick up a dead vixen.

Must say sense of ellation as its without doubt the one I had missed the night before and was shot at 10:20 pm almost exactly the same time as we saw it the night previously.

It was a small but very solid vixen so chickens and ducks a little safer for a while.

D
    Excellent, was that with trusty 204 or did 223 get an outing?
    Last edited by Ah8217bris; 22-08-2016 at 19:19.

.204 of course , however am going to try the .223 with 69 TMK's in the next week or so to see what the effect on charlie will be.

D