Bloody PRVI ammo

NickW

Could I get it to group anywhere near decently...Could I hell!
I know some on here find it ok and some don't, so I thought I'd give it a go and find out for myself, well I know the answer now...60 rounds down range and ******** grouping.
Wasn't the best day for it with a great heat haze out there and the hot barrel wasn't helping but to be honest I did expect better results..Oh well live an learn. Can't be doing with the ridiculous price for decent factory ammo so it looks like reloading or at the least get someone to load some for me.

Nw,

have you always used the same ammo or is this a new round for your gun.
from previous threads and first hand experience the rifle will always choose its round.
you will not force the rifle to shoot a round it does not want to.

frank

Nw,

have you always used the same ammo or is this a new round for your gun.
from previous threads and first hand experience the rifle will always choose its round.
you will not force the rifle to shoot a round it does not want to.

frank

I completely agree!

Hi Frank
new gun so was taking it to zero and have have fun with some rounds. Only tried the prvi as its like 11 quid a box against various makes, but decent stuff up to what 40 quid which I kinda resent paying knowing that the ammo in the UK is sorely overpriced. But looks like I'll have to bite the bullet so to speak.

Hi Frank
new gun so was taking it to zero and have have fun with some rounds. Only tried the prvi as its like 11 quid a box against various makes, but decent stuff up to what 40 quid which I kinda resent paying knowing that the ammo in the UK is sorely overpriced. But looks like I'll have to bite the bullet so to speak.

Get into reloading mate, to be fair ive heard the stories about the Pervi ammo, heard a couple of people saying its ok, but I agree, the ammo here is just a too expensive.

hi,

cost is not always why the round sucks, some of the cheap rounds do well. your rifle just has expensive taste. you should have gave it a guys name ha ha
try bushwear for ammo cost as they sell me my federals 30% cheaper than anyone else
i would buy one box of the three brands and try them. if its not on in five rounds from the rifle it will probably will never be on.
you will find it eventually.

good luck mate, let us know how you do

atb f

I could not get the stuff to group either in my PH .270 so I dismantled them used H4895 and some Siera Gameking bullets and they shoot perfect. Some rifles seem to love them but it appears if your rifle does not fall into this catagory forget them. Shame though at those prices who would want to buy anything else.

John.

Thanks guys agree with you all, I'll post up as and when I get a factory round to go where its meant to and let you know what I went for . Meanwhile has anyone experience with factory ammo in Sako 75 finnlight 30-06 thats works really well?

I shoot sako's
They love privvis and everything else, the 270 and 6.5 work very well on roe and munties.
Did you "run" in your new rifle, allowing the barrel to heat up was not good on any rifle never mind a new one.
You will find on the finnlite 2 shots and then 3 minutes to fire number 3 or any round will produce flyers... You MUST keep that barrel cool.

Got to be honest I didn't "run" the barrel in really. All I did was obvioulsy a good clean prior to shooting, put 10 rounds through it and then cleaned again, then another 20 rounds. I then let it cool down and switched to another rifle for a 30 mins and then went back to the sako and knocked another 30 out but not with any huge speed.
Wasn't the best day for cooling the barrel tho ,was prob the hottest day lately so ambient air def didn't help much.

Last edited:
With a finnlite I honestly don't think you have been fair on the ammo.
A fantastic rifle and a light barrel which heats up very quick and mine is'nt wearing a mod (it will be X3 worse if yours is)
That barrel must be cool.
I've had mine 4 years and first 2 shots will go in same hole 3rd if i don't cool will go an inch off (still a dead deer) then if I were to carry on shooting the group would look like a .410 pattern plate.
COOL COOL COOL.
regards john

I think you answered a lot of your own questions - Most lightish barreled sporting rifles do tend to wander as the barrel warms up and a heat haze will also seriously distort a group (a heat haze / mirage is actually bending the light rays, so you are not actually aiming at where you think you are). Through in a level of frustration, which adds large amount of human error.

What you are looking for is grouping from a cold barrel. Take a good book, flask of tea and a 22rf with you to the range. Shoot one round - have a cup of tea, read your book, shoot off a couple of mag fulls of 22rf, and then shoot another round and the groups will tighten dramatically.

Nick i think there was a thread on here sOme were mate on running your new rifle in properly.But when i did mine it was three shots at a bank and a good clean this was done five times then it was 5 shots at a bank three times then i did to runs of ten . At no time did i even think of getting it to group .Then i shot it and put through a clean cloth and did this till it was spotless no trace of cleaner. Then and only then did i go to the target and my gun shoots sub 1 inch with everything i have put through it that includes cheap and expensive ammo. HOPE YOU GET IT FIXED.

Thanks guys for all the replies, very much appreciated. Looks like I might have to try again and just be patient. I'll try all the running in tips and fingers crossed it'll sort out the issues. I'm not running a mod on mine just a brake , so a good book and a few boxes of 22wmr and a long afternoon will hopefully sort it.

PPU (Privi Partizan) ammunition won't group in any of my rifles - I couldn't get better than 2" groups when I expect 0.5" groups with homeloads. I follow a strict three rounds then cool regime for my Parker Hale .270 as it heats up fast and strings like a bugger after the third shot

I gave the 130gn .270 rounds to John (Vizlamad) who found the same inaccuracy, so we gave what was left to Gadget, as it was better than him the handfulls of carpet tacks he usually fires out of his Tikka T3...;):lol: I tend not to keep the brass either, as it needs annealing too often because the necks harden so fast (although, to be fair, that might just be an issue on long-necked cases like the .270).

Adam.

Thanks guys for all the replies, very much appreciated. Looks like I might have to try again and just be patient. I'll try all the running in tips and fingers crossed it'll sort out the issues. I'm not running a mod on mine just a brake , so a good book and a few boxes of 22wmr and a long afternoon will hopefully sort it.

Now that you've put about 40 or 50 rounds through the barrel, doing a "run in" will be a waste of time and ammo. The rounds that have gone through it will have knocked off any rough edges and broken the barrel in as good as it gets.
Clean the barrel thoroughly now and then fire a couple of fouling shots. Let the barrel cool completely and then do as Yorkshireroestalking sugests. A three round group fired SLOW time after those fouling shots will show you the true grouping potential of the round.
I'd say that as far as "acceptable" goes for factory ammo, a 2" group or better is what you should be looking for. (Yes, I do realise that not everyone would regard a 2" group as acceptable)

Could I get it to group anywhere near decently...Could I hell!
I know some on here find it ok and some don't, so I thought I'd give it a go and find out for myself, well I know the answer now...60 rounds down range and ******** grouping.
Wasn't the best day for it with a great heat haze out there and the hot barrel wasn't helping but to be honest I did expect better results..Oh well live an learn. Can't be doing with the ridiculous price for decent factory ammo so it looks like reloading or at the least get someone to load some for me.

Hope you saved your brass.....~Muir

Hope you saved your brass.....~Muir

Lol yes I did ...I may be stupid but least not so stupid as to junking them. In all honesty I thought if I did get someone to load them for me then at least they are fire formed.

Hmmm cleaning a barrel ................................. another subject full of witch craft and mystery ;) . After some lengthy discussion on it's effect on accuracy, on another site I should add, I began an experiment with the 25-06 P-H I have. It was not performing as well as I had hoped for. When it first arrived I of course gave it a clean, a good clean or so I thought :oops:, and went on to load development and ammunition testing. It was inconsistant. Tried different weight bullets, powders even primers. the we tried just shooting without cleaning to see the effect on the grouping. After some 200+ rounds it had not altered one bit. The barrel was given a really good cleaning as the rifle was being looked at my Steve Kershaw so of course the barrel needed to be clean. I inspection revealed that the first 10" of the barrel has heat crazing but the rifling is strong. that's as far as we have gotten with it for now. I am going to clean the stock up and re-do the oiled finish. With the right load it shoots under MOA and whent he stock is done hopefully I can correct the issue with fitting a Bi=Pod..........we shall see.

Some barrels foul quickly and like a clean barrel other prefer a fouled barrel and some demand to be cleaned after a certain number of shot or grouping and precision suffers. The only way to establish how yours performs is of course to shoot it and study the resulting targets.. Which reminds me I must get some more .25 cal bullets ;).

Back