Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to put together a wee rifle shoot

Want to put together a wee rifle shoot

Guys n Gals,

i am seriously thinking of putting together a walk up rifle shoot.
    i have permissions on a disused quarry with large holes banks etc.

i recall that putting together such an event is not just as simple as say meet here and lets fire.

i would appreciate first hand experience on this subject and guidelines for setting this up.
    i would like to run it in September for about 40 people.

it would a unique shoot in its entirety as it would consist of 15 shots from sticks or prone at walked up on targets of roe red and fox. the targets would be placed out and you have to stalk the target. if you dont see it you dont shoot it.

frank
    Last edited by centralbeltstalker; 24-06-2010 at 16:16.

That sounds really good - I'm in no position to be of any help although I do hope you get the help you are looking for to get it up and running. Good luck with it Mr Centralbeltstalker.

Sounds good

Who is it for, invited? open?

I'm not sure on the regs, but as long as it's a "practise" or zeroing exercise you're ok, just as long as it is not a comp.

There will be plenty folks on here who will know the in and outs.

Invercauld used to have one [think it still does] for surrounding keepers, running fox and longrange mouse were always a laugh.

Cb,
    looked at one in a quarry down here, one of the major factors was, it was in a quarry, and I think the risk of a ricochet would send any FLO into a nervous breakdown,
    but, a risk assessment would need to be done, also written permission for everyone involved,especially with firearms..
    I think with the correct approach to an FLO, most things are possible..
    You would also need to check all the insurances to see if they have any conditions precluding that sort of activity.

regards
    griff

what i would love to do is find some one on here whose suitably qualified to walk through it with me and arrange with me.
    i have at least one rco onboard so we are getting there.
    as for ricochets the quarry has a layer of soil on, all of targets would be in front of a suitable backstop.

cb,
    Great idea but it would be a lot easier to arrange if you could sort out an approved range, preferably not a MOD range. I have shot similar events an improvised ranges on a few occasions in the past, on the last occasion a temporary range licence was arranged by the local FEO who just happened to shoot that day. I am not sure if such an arrangement is still posibble.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    cb,
    Great idea but it would be a lot easier to arrange if you could sort out an approved range, preferably not a MOD range. I have shot similar events an improvised ranges on a few occasions in the past, on the last occasion a temporary range licence was arranged by the local FEO who just happened to shoot that day. I am not sure if such an arrangement is still posibble.

my flo seems a great guy will attempt to call him and get some views.

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    Sounds good

Who is it for, invited? open?

I'm not sure on the regs, but as long as it's a "practise" or zeroing exercise you're ok, just as long as it is not a comp.

There will be plenty folks on here who will know the in and outs.

Invercauld used to have one [think it still does] for surrounding keepers, running fox and longrange mouse were always a laugh.
    it will be an open invite assuming the law permits. i would keep it sensible when comes to numbers as to many ruins it as there is nothing worse than standing waiting.
    if it went well i would attempt to run another in another six weeks after that one.

Contact widowson off here he was a range master and will know all the ins and out.The bonus is he is just up the road from you.