Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here use downloaded rounds for humane dispatch?

Anyone here use downloaded rounds for humane dispatch?

This is an unknown area for me so I'm just asking, but with a bit of knowledge on the ballistics side.

From time to time I read of people acquiring pistols for close range humane dispatch. IIUC, this is pertinent to a deer that has been shot and not killed, often in cover or an unsafe position to use a full power round. I have often made use of downloaded rounds in centre fire rifles. By way of illustration, I have downloaded all of the following calibres. .223, .308, 30-06, 7.5x55, 6.5x55. My preferred powder is 'Unique' and the load varies from about 7 grains to 20 grains. Especially if using a lightweight bullet the effect is such that shooting, for example, a 30-06 feels and sounds like shooting a .22 rifle.

I believe that the police are often reluctant to permit such a pistol to the casual deer shooter so if there is no pistol and such a situation arises, what is there to do? It has occurred to me that, to use a .308 as an example, a few rounds of such handloads would serve well for this purpose. As an example, the Hornady 100 grain semi jacketed bullet would appear ideal if placed in front of about 7 grains of Unique would provide a relatively low powered round for close quarters dispatch of a wounded deer with minimal ricochet hazard, given the circumstances. This round would be easily identified by feel alone (And of course, the shooter could also look at it before loading!) so not mistaken for a full load.

For anyone unfamiliar with downloading handloads and who fears bad things happening I have researched this to hell and back and if done properly, i.e. with fast powders (It's the slow powders that detonate and blow up rifles) it is perfectly safe.

Please bear in mind the first line of this post.

There are quite a few target shooters who use downloaded centre fire rifle rounds for use on indoor ranges and the like, where a full house rifle load would be way outside the range limitations, not to say unpleasant!
    It seems fairly common with fans of old enfields etc
    important to note though that as far as I am aware the powder would not normally be the same as used in a 'proper' load.

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    There are quite a few target shooters who use downloaded centre fire rifle rounds for use on indoor ranges and the like, where a full house rifle load would be way outside the range limitations, not to say unpleasant!
    It seems fairly common with fans of old enfields etc
    important to note though that as far as I am aware the powder would not normally be the same as used in a 'proper' load.

At risk of repetition, you are correct. Trail Boss is an excellent powder for such use, or Red Dot, Bullseye (Used for very many years by the US Army to load 'guard rounds') or my choice, Unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
    At risk of repetition, you are correct. Trail Boss is an excellent powder for such use, or Red Dot, Bullseye (Used for very many years by the US Army to load 'guard rounds') or my choice, Unique.
    Pistol powders I believe? Not reloaded pistol cartridges myself so not too familiar. Your downloaded ammo sounds like an interesting option though. I can think of a couple of occasions where they may have been useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    Pistol powders I believe? Not reloaded pistol cartridges myself so not too familiar. Your downloaded ammo sounds like an interesting option though. I can think of a couple of occasions where they may have been useful.
    I have used H4895 to good effect if it suits the round and caliber.I steer clear of pistol powders in rifles rounds although there are a lot of folk use it.

I have delivered several close quarters shots with full power 270 and 300wm loads without ricochet concern

deer shot in the wild tend to land on soft stuff

RTA's most often don't
    I would still want a much lower power round or a .410 for things lying on tarmac

Trouble is frangible bullets don't fragment at lower (subsonic) velocities so the risk is still there

Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
    Trail Boss is an excellent powder for such use, or Red Dot, Bullseye (Used for very many years by the US Army to load 'guard rounds') or my choice, Unique.
    Trail Boss is a good powder for reduced velocity loads in rifle cartridges due it's volume:weight ratio and it will almost fill a .308 case 100% while delivering a subsonic result with a suitable bullet - Google for advised methods of working up a load.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I would still want a much lower power round or a .410 for things lying on tarmac
    Yes, although I had a SIG228 9mm pistol on ticket my most employed methods would be (where appropriate) knife, .22 pistol/rifle, .410 shotgun - centre fire rifle hardly ever.

Trouble is frangible bullets don't fragment at lower (subsonic) velocities so the risk is still there
    I'm experimenting at the moment with subsonic .308 Win rounds over Trail Boss using the Hornady 170gr FP InterLocks, which are designed for use in the 30-30 at generally lower than .308 velocities. Initial results are promising and may well be suitable for my intended purpose.
    Last edited by Orion; 23-08-2016 at 23:44.

For humane dispatch of roedeer over here most would use a shotgun.
    For bigger deer including moose a regular sp bullet like a Sierra / Hornady is often used. This to try and limit over penetration/ richochet danger.
    As always safety being paramount.

The observations about humane dispatch of deer on a road, or with a shotgun etc. are accurate but I was more interested in the stalker who has not been granted a pistol, or who doesn't want to hump a shotgun around with them, who finds himself faced with the situation I describe. While all possible solutions are available for consideration, as has been stated, safety being paramount, I thought it a useful solution for those who reload.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post

I guess using expanding pistol bullets or modifying existing non-S5 rifle bullets is out of question in UK?