Thread: Pulsar core thermal

Pulsar core thermal

Anyone got any experience with these. Are they a compromise from the hand held devices?

The newer XQ quantum models have a 17micron sensor, the core has a 25 micron sensor, with no power inlet or video out . If your looking for a rifle mounted thermal the Apex is a much better choice especially the 75.

I looked into buying one of these units but the big drawback for me was that it seems only useable to a magnification of x6. I've looked into the dedicated thermal scopes and decided on the WT1-75 from Clive Ward which I think is a better buy than the pulsarxd75 which I also considered

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    I looked into buying one of these units but the big drawback for me was that it seems only useable to a magnification of x6. I've looked into the dedicated thermal scopes and decided on the WT1-75 from Clive Ward which I think is a better buy than the pulsarxd75 which I also considered
    I'll be interested to compare the XD50 with the WT1-75 when you get it. I find the digital zooms pretty hopeless, but the picture in picture seems to work well. Also interested to see the mounting system, and what eye relief you get.

The ability to convert any scope to thermal is a huge plus. Suddenly (with the appropriate adapter) every scoped rifle you own has thermal!
    But there's no such thing as a free lunch. In this case this means there's no socket for an external power pack and the core eats CR123A cells pretty fast. You're also looking at a green image with no alternative palettes, though you can reverse the polarity.
    The Core and the Apex models have the same pixel size, only the XQ series have the finer 17 micron ones, so it's an open question which will get the upgrade first.
    Overall, if it had a power socket and a b/w screen I'd buy a Core over an Apex. For a monocular, a Quantum XQ.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Thanks guys. It is such an expense I think I will wait. As you say upgrades are going to happen

I managed to meet up with Clive Ward last night for a demo of the WT1 75-3 thermal scope. I had my pulsar xq38 in my hand and it blew that out of the water. I could clearly identify badgers at 150m and some rabbits at 250m. In my opinion the picture quality was 2 or maybe 3 times sharper than the xq with twice the magnification. The unit is a nice compact size comparable to the new drone pro. Add to that shutterless so no annoying freeze framing and plenty of eye relief I think it's going to be a game changer.