Thread: Neck Sizing

Neck Sizing

At present I only have full length size my .223 cases. I read somewhere that you can neck size with a FL die. Is it a case of push the case into the die a little bit and hope for the best or is it more technical than that.

For example an unsized fired case is 1.755 but after a "bit of a squeeze" in the press it was 1.762. At first there was no neck tension on the bullet so I had to apply a bit of pressure to size the neck.

Ooh just noticed it doesn't de-prime when I do that!

Any help much appreciated

Thank
    Mick

When I FL resized the case and the primer popped out the case still measured 1.762. I assume all the sizing is being done before the primer is popped out.
    Last edited by mickthebrick; 24-06-2010 at 11:39. Reason: fl sized

Back your sizing die out about 5/32 of an inch and lock the die. You're just trying to keep the sizing away from the shoulder. If the primer doesn't come out, loosen the decapping rod lock nut and advance it downward until it does, then lock the nut. ~Muir

Thanks Muir, I'll try that out. Anything to get more loads out of my cases

Just buy a neck sizer die, all the guesswork taken out!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Skip James
    On the downstroke the case is being squeezed by the FL die. On the upstroke the neck is being pulled away from the shellholder by the expander ball. As an experiment try sizing with the expander ball assembly removed - in this experiment the case can only be squeezed. Then put the expander ball back in and note how the cases become longer.
    http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...n-changes.html
    Regards
    JCS

As JCS says the expander ball can pull things out of shape as it exits the case, I had this very problem for a while and some of my cases wouldn't chamber. I've been using a Lee neck sizer die, they are inexpensive at about 25ish if I recall correctly. Now, this die doesn't work for some people but I must say it has worked well for me and I would guess I have some cases which are on their 5th reloading with only neck sizing. It is certainly worth a try and I imagine lots of places will stock it so it shouldn't be hard to get.

Some people seem to have a talent for failing to read instructions, or reading and ignoring them. For them, Lee neck sizers may not perform as expected. However, like you, I find they work well. Have .30 calibre version and it is very easy to set up, very consistent. I trim and full length size new cases, then neck size only, ditching them after 7 reloads. in 15 years, in .308, 30-06 and 30-06AI, have not once had a problem with chambering, and accuracy has been impeccable.
    KevinF -

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Skip James
    On the downstroke the case is being squeezed by the FL die. On the upstroke the neck is being pulled away from the shellholder by the expander ball. As an experiment try sizing with the expander ball assembly removed - in this experiment the case can only be squeezed. Then put the expander ball back in and note how the cases become longer.
    http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...n-changes.html
    Regards
    JCS
    I'll give this an OK. It does, but the stretching you get from a neck expander is trivial when compared to the expansion you get at the head when the shoulder is set back during FL sizing and then tossed forward during ignition. If this expander ball stretch is always present, it kind of puts a torpedo into the stern of the Ackley Improved boys who claim that brass seldom (or never) needs trimming using the AI chamberings.

It's all done with lights and mirrors, boys! ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    ....It's all done with lights and mirrors, boys! ~Muir
    Muir. You are correct, each time I think I am seeing the light, it turns out to be another expensive mirror. Very well put. Thanks. JCS

I agree with what Kevin says - always trim and FL size (actually I size then trim!) new brass, then neck size only. Don't try to get too many uses out of them (something I'm guilty of sometimes!), I'd say 10 at most.

FWIW I've found that 222 brass doesn't last that many resizes (even with a nexk sizing die), the necks just split. Maybe 223 is better.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
    Some people seem to have a talent for failing to read instructions, or reading and ignoring them. For them, Lee neck sizers may not perform as expected. However, like you, I find they work well. Have .30 calibre version and it is very easy to set up, very consistent. I trim and full length size new cases, then neck size only, ditching them after 7 reloads. in 15 years, in .308, 30-06 and 30-06AI, have not once had a problem with chambering, and accuracy has been impeccable.