Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17wsm

17wsm

I notice my rfd has both rifles and ammo in stock now. Anybody in the uk tried one yet?

It appears to be a solution looking for a problem as far as I can see.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

So not on your xmas list then Rob?

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    What kind of rifles? The only decent one that I have seen in that caliber is the Ruger M77 and it's crazy expensive.

I saw the ammo at my local gunshop the statistics are pretty amazing

BUT

Straight from the hornady reps mouth seeing as its a 17 cal rimfire the primer is put in normal size as the primer is too big to go into a 17 hole and it's necked down to 17 cal cold rather than a 22 or C/F cartridge which is necked down hot

A 17HMR is also necked down cold

so what what does all this mean I hear you ask ?

It means you'll get the same issues as a 17HMR case with splits and dud rounds due to moisture in the powder

personally if you want a fast 17 I'd get a 17 hornet
    Last edited by Markfox; 24-08-2016 at 18:05.

from some reports iv read ammo is so-so depends on what batch etc and the rifles are fair to good depending on which maker.
    as bob has mentioned there are other calibres in the same niche that are proven -i think this is another "better mouse trap"

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    What kind of rifles? The only decent one that I have seen in that caliber is the Ruger M77 and it's crazy expensive.
    Savage b arms.... 600

Quote Originally Posted by garyw View Post
    from some reports iv read ammo is so-so depends on what batch etc and the rifles are fair to good depending on which maker.
    as bob has mentioned there are other calibres in the same niche that are proven -i think this is another "better mouse trap"
    was just researching for my new 20 cal cf and saw it hence the question!

I'd stay away mate and stick to the 20 cal cf.

No point hamstringing yourself with a unproven rimfire which is very likely to have the problems that HMR had/has as mentioned above. Especially since they have to cold neck the cylindrical brass down even more than they do for HMR. Not by much but it's hardly gonna make the situation better
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    The B Mag is a POS! They sell for less than $300 on sale over here. Don't waste your quid on it. Hold off for an affordable quality rifle. I have 2 .17 HMRs, other than a few split cases a couple of years ago, I have not had any problems with them. My boys and I have shot thousands of rounds through them. Wondering if your wet climate has anything to do with the squib rounds I keep hearing about??? Our fall and winter is pretty wet too, all of our .17 shooting in in the spring and summer.