Info transfer to Police

kes

Bought some ammo today and the seller entered it into a computer which was uploaded to the Police Firearms Computer. So they can check you are not exceeding ammo allocations. Turns of the screw.

Bought some ammo today and the seller entered it into a computer which was uploaded to the Police Firearms Computer. So they can check you are not exceeding ammo allocations. Turns of the screw.
No problem with that at all.

So they have time to count em' all up then?, might slow up renewals etc even more?

Counting ammo is a waste of effort, if you continually bought your allowance, sat on most of it for a period of time then went back to buy some more who would know??

we have to be trusted not to do it. Therefore what is the point of counting ammo?

My Polis Scotland FAC does not specify how many rounds of ammunition may be bought/acquired/whatever, it just states a maximum holding, so advising of a purchase quantity is meaningless.

Last edited:
How can informing the police electronically of your purchases tell them you are over your holding limit? To do that, they also need to know how many you are using. :cuckoo:

Sounds like a mistaken conspiracy theory.

First off, there is no upload link to the PNC or to the NFLMS (the system all of us in E&W and our SGC/FAC’s are on) from day-to-day ammunition transactions. That would be an absurd waste of time. It’s the RFD’s responsibility to check that the amount bought doesn’t exceed the Part 2 ‘authorised to be possessed’ limit. It says so on every FAC. The scale of the entries can be checked by the FLD at every Variation or Renewal anyway.

There is a Home Office recommended combined ‘stock/dealers register’ computer system which the bigger businesses have been encouraged (leant on) to adopt. It expedites the yearly audit of their books by the county Firearms Licensing dept. This can tie up several members of staff for days on end, so makes sense IMO. In effect this is only a localised ‘Dealers Register’ held on computer to replace the old paper version. I’m guessing this is what the OP is talking about.

Sounds like a mistaken conspiracy theory.

First off, there is no upload link to the PNC or to the NFLMS (the system all of us in E&W and our SGC/FAC’s are on) from day-to-day ammunition transactions. That would be an absurd waste of time. It’s the RFD’s responsibility to check that the amount bought doesn’t exceed the Part 2 ‘authorised to be possessed’ limit. It says so on every FAC. The scale of the entries can be checked by the FLD at every Variation or Renewal anyway.

There is a Home Office recommended combined ‘stock/dealers register’ computer system which the bigger businesses have been encouraged (leant on) to adopt. It expedites the yearly audit of their books by the county Firearms Licensing dept. This can tie up several members of staff for days on end, so makes sense IMO. In effect this is only a localised ‘Dealers Register’ held on computer to replace the old paper version. I’m guessing this is what the OP is talking about.

All RFDs were to be required to introduce a computer based recording system and indeed many actually purchased the necessary hardware and software to do so but this requirement was dropped literally at the eleventh hour last year. I know that my local RFD wasted several hundred pounds on a system that he never actually used in the end.

A computer based system with police link would have some advantages for shooters such as the ability for RFDs to conduct 1 for 1 variations which I believe is the system currently being trialled in Northern Ireland. If what I have previously read about the trial has gone ahead only those dealers with the necessary link have the ability to do so, those without and who still rely upon the old register (book) system are not able to do so.

If you are complying with the terms of your FAC what's the issue? If they ever check my ammo safe it will be under the maximum allowance for each cal so not a problem for myself.

If you are complying with the terms of your FAC what's the issue? If they ever check my ammo safe it will be under the maximum allowance for each cal so not a problem for myself.

Yep, you just store the surplus somewhere other than in the ammo safe....

No need, just comply with what you signed up for , when you verbally agreed with the FEO at interview! I have no surplus as i only hunt, I have no need to exceed my quota of three hundred per C/F and six hundred R/F!

Exactly my point.
If nefarious deeds are your goal then counting how much you have bought/have in your safe means nothing.
if an FAC holder can't be trusted then they shouldn't have the FAC in the first place.

Exactly my point.
If nefarious deeds are your goal then counting how much you have bought/have in your safe means nothing.
if an FAC holder can't be trusted then they shouldn't have the FAC in the first place.

If you throw in complete ammunition or reloading components (expanding bullets) personally imported that will not be recorded anywhere within the UK, then it really shows the futility of such a system.

I agree with Sinistral that someone has got their wires crossed about an internal RFD computer system being (or not actually) linked to NFLMS. Or maybe it's just a frightener being put around to keep FAC holders on their toes? ;)

How can informing the police electronically of your purchases tell them you are over your holding limit? To do that, they also need to know how many you are using. :cuckoo:

Exactly!

I've not seen this and I've bought a couple of lots of ammo recently, it was just entered on my ticket and that's it.

And the limit is only on what you hold, so at Bisley if you buy ammo and use it all on the day at the range Im pretty sure they don't enter that on your ticket at all.

Last edited:
Back