load for .243

jack harvey

hi guys im new to the site but ive been on the hunting life for a couple of years now. i know theres a few familiar faces. anyway im looking for a good load using hodgdon varget, hornady 87g bthp's, winchester brass and cci primers. does anyone use a similar load in their rifles and if so, what are min and max loads? cheers, jack

Jack,
Welcome! Prepare to catch a lot of flak if you have to ask what minimum and maximum loads are for a given cartridge, bullet, and powder. If you don't have a manual (shame!) then try www.hodgdon.com for your data. A good load for your rifle lies between minimum and maximum listed loads. Nobody can tell you what will shot in your rifle. Regards~Muir

Switch to N140 and place 36.6g in your cases. My T3 loves it.

I have used both N140 and Varget in the 243 calibre rifles i have owned ( 3 off ) i am now trying out H414 for 80 grn and 85 grn bullets.

Back to your question 38.5 grns Varget is Max so start at least 10% down.

Cheers

Hi Jack
I was in a simular situation to you and started out with Nosler 6mm 100 gram (.243) Spitzer. With H4350, Remmi primers. Load range 37grs to 40grs.
I ended up with 38.2grs as the best load grouping in my rifle but it will vary for yours.

Smithy

Jeez. Why don't you guys let the guy find his own load?? None of the loads listed will be guaranteed the most accurate, nor safe, from a technical standpoint. (Tho none seem extreme) Something that illustrates this is some research I did on the 9.3x57 last night. Two men, identical rifles, same powder, same bullet. One blew primers 4 grains before the other saw pressure signs. This is why reloading manuals usually recommend 5% below minimum loads to start. I know you guys think I harp on this but I have experienced blown primers with starting loads with at least one rifle in my past and this after 10 years of reloading experience. With few exceptions, specific load advice is bad advice. Ok. I'm off the rant now.~Muir

Jeez. Why don't you guys let the guy find his own load?? None of the loads listed will be guaranteed the most accurate, nor safe, from a technical standpoint. (Tho none seem extreme) Something that illustrates this is some research I did on the 9.3x57 last night. Two men, identical rifles, same powder, same bullet. One blew primers 4 grains before the other saw pressure signs. This is why reloading manuals usually recommend 5% below minimum loads to start. I know you guys think I harp on this but I have experienced blown primers with starting loads with at least one rifle in my past and this after 10 years of reloading experience. With few exceptions, specific load advice is bad advice. Ok. I'm off the rant now.~Muir

Muir,its guys like you that help guys like us. you are the GOD :tiphat:

:lol: Muir Re the 9.3x57 with mine I started off using the data in that Wolfe publication "Big Bore Rifles and cartridges" his load were way down in my rifle. Protruding primers and sooted cases. Not enough pressure to obturate the case in the chamber. So I worked up from there and stopped when the primers remained seated and cases lost the soot. I am still down to what we could go but we shall see now once it's back on for shooting how it goes. My loads are at least 4 grains over his top loads but the groove in my barrel are oversize as they measure about 0.370" rather than the quoted 0.366" which i feel is helpign keep pressures down. Just goes to show once again that every barrel is different ;)

I'll look up that Wolfe publication and see what they can offer up for load data. Using .358 Winchester data seems out of place as the largest bullet I can find data for is the 250 grain. I'm loading 286 grains. You are right, of course: Different barrels, different results.

I am on the 8x57 kick again so It will be a while before I get back to the 9,3x57. I would love to take a deer with my 8x57, the 9,3x57, and my 7x57 Mauser. That would be a good weekend's work!

On the 8x57 note, Kev... and I hate to be hijacking the thread... do you have any info source there which might tell me what bullet the 8x57 Husqvarna's were regulated to? I'm guessing 196 grain hunting round of the 40s. Thanks.~Muir

MickB; Thanks Amigo, but I'm just a crusty old reloader who likes to hear himself talk...;)

Back