Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What cal is this

What cal is this

Found this bullet, 15mm/0.6 inch and 468 grains. Military round but what from, machine gun, plane ?

12G or may be 54cal B.P smoke pole got gas checks so could be lots just from this picture , no rilfe'g marks that I can see? did it come from the USA ?

or
    but don't think it is ?
    Last edited by paul o'; 25-08-2016 at 17:57.

Our black powder guys at our rifle club shoot rounds like that. It looks like it hit a gong straight on with not many revs behind it....

It is probably a .577" minie bullet as used in an Enfield or similar muzzle loading rifle.(1850 era).
    That one has been shot with too much or too "fast" a powder load. - Evident as the skirt at the back end is blown out - this happens just as the bullet exits a barrel before the powder charge is all burnt. The blast deforms the hollow base skirt resulting in poor accuracy.
    The calibre & original rifles are still shot out to 600 yards targetsby the MLAGB at many rifle range complexes.

Ian

p.s. John - That is very nearly as cast - If it had hit a gong it would be as flat as a pancake! They are made of pure lead & very soft to ensure obturation in the barrel rifling.
    Last edited by Yorric; 25-08-2016 at 18:16.

Looks like a hand cast bullet for a black powder rifle the array of calibres and moulds to make your own is mind boggling .Have a butchers at Henry Kranks online catalogue theyve got this type of bullet on the shelf.atb damn Yorric beat me to it
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

I'm presuming it was shot into a sand dune, found it whilst playing golf. It could be American as there was a US military base here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    It is probably a .577" minie bullet as used in an Enfield or similar muzzle loading rifle.(1850 era).
    That one has been shot with too much or too "fast" a powder load. - Evident as the skirt at the back end is blown out - this happens just as the bullet exits a barrel before the powder charge is all burnt. The blast deforms the hollow base skirt resulting in poor accuracy.
    The calibre & original rifles are still shot out to 600 yards targetsby the MLAGB at many rifle range complexes.

Ian

p.s. John - That is very nearly as cast - If it had hit a gong it would be as flat as a pancake! They are made of pure lead & very soft to ensure obturation in the barrel rifling.
    Somebody else mention it could be a Minnie.

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    Looks like a hand cast bullet for a black powder rifle the array of calibres and moulds to make your own is mind boggling .Have a butchers at Henry Kranks online catalogue theyve got this type of bullet on the shelf.atb damn Yorric beat me to it
    Just been on Kranks website, some very similar bullets there

Oops I just realized I wrote a fib. I should have said slow - not fast powder load. Sorry.
    It certainly was subject to an overcharge.
    Normal charge would be 60 grains if FFG powder if the little grey cells are working right.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Oops I just realized I wrote a fib. I should have said slow - not fast powder load. Sorry.
    It certainly was subject to an overcharge.
    Normal charge would be 60 grains if FFG powder if the little grey cells are working right.

Ian
    do you shoot black powder guns ?