Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydro punch

Hydro punch

Got a Hydro punch made by prime reloading, anybody know anything about them ????
    got to admit I've never seen one before.
    Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by white van man View Post
    Got a Hydro punch made by prime reloading, anybody know anything about them ????
    got to admit I've never seen one before.
    Steve.
    If i remember correctly they were specifically designed for removing Berdan primers

Ian.

A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

I had one which I sold for a large profit!!! Excellent bit of kit but I prefer my Wamadet to get the Berdan primers out.
    The advantage of military brass is that it is good quality and nobody wants it - therefore it's free!!!!

Daft question time. Is it worth drilling out the primer pockets so you can fit a boxer primer? Or are the pocket dimensions different?
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

It's not worth it and the primer pockets don't match
    Trying to get Berdan primers is a pain! I have enough to keep me going but not enough to pass on!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    Daft question time. Is it worth drilling out the primer pockets so you can fit a boxer primer? Or are the pocket dimensions different?
    No

Yes

SD Regular
    Made, usually, to de-cap Berdan primed 9mm Parabellum aka 9mm Luger brass.

Uses just a drop of water so much more efficient than the Wamadet Heydraulic Decapper. There will be a spigot or "end" on your prime that is a snug tight fit into a 9mm case. You place the thing on the base (that has a hole in the centre) and hit the top of the Prime with a hammer. The drop of water drives the primer out of the case.

The biggest drawback is that, nowadays, time is money (it takes a lot of time), the cases get wet so need to be dried, Berdan primers are now virtually unobtainable, eventually you'll mix up a Berdan case with a Boxer case and wreck the de-capping pin and rid in your die set, seating Berdan primers in a progressive press is an explosion risk.

Cheers fellas

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Made, usually, to de-cap Berdan primed 9mm Parabellum aka 9mm Luger brass.

Uses just a drop of water so much more efficient than the Wamadet Heydraulic Decapper. There will be a spigot or "end" on your prime that is a snug tight fit into a 9mm case. You place the thing on the base (that has a hole in the centre) and hit the top of the Prime with a hammer. The drop of water drives the primer out of the case.

The biggest drawback is that, nowadays, time is money (it takes a lot of time), the cases get wet so need to be dried, Berdan primers are now virtually unobtainable, eventually you'll mix up a Berdan case with a Boxer case and wreck the de-capping pin and rid in your die set, seating Berdan primers in a progressive press is an explosion risk.
    brilliant thanks.
    Steve