Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choice of non-toxic factory ammo

Choice of non-toxic factory ammo

I shoot an R8 6.5 X 55 which I am very happy with, but I'm looking to put in a variation and get restrictions changed on my certificate.

I'm also working towards deer management opportunities with conservation bodies, who have mostly adopted the FC lease requirements. DSC2, EFAW+F and use of factory non-toxic ammunition. I'd imagine this will be largely Muntjac and the odd fallow, woodland stalking.

Is there a calibre that jumps out as best choice in this situation in terms of cost, performance and obtainability? .243" or .308"?
    Or should I just be prepared for a good cry whatever I feed it?

I'd appreciate any relevant advice. Thanks in advance.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Go with the .308. The pure copper stuff is longer than the traditional lead and copper bullets and you might have stabilization issues in the .243 using heaver bullets. Not sure as I have not tried it. Nun hunter seem to be able to get the 130 gr. Barnes TTX in .308. The 130 gr. TTX should be good for everything in the UK and most other places as well.

Sorry, just realized you were asking for factory ammo. Barnes does make factory ammo but is really spendy. Not sure if you can get the loaded rounds over there. I believe Nosler also has factory loaded E- bullets. Again, real spendy.

I stopped in the sporting good store at lunch, a box of loaded Barnes ammo is $39.99! I don't even want to think abut what they would soak you for it over there. YOU need to get into hand loading. Heck a simple Lee loader would do the trick.
    Last edited by A Guy Out West; 26-08-2016 at 19:18.

Solid copper bullets such as the Barnes work best at higher than average velocities. Whatever calibre you choose I would recommend a light for calibre bullet driven in excess of 3000 ft per second. I am using a 6.5 Lapua for Fallow and downwards shooting a 100 grain Barnes TTSX at 3250 ft/sec. They are highly effective on chest shots, very reliable if you go through a shoulder and cause more drop on the spots than any other bullet I have used. Meat damage is also minimal. The downside is that due to the lack of fragmentation neck shots have to be bang on the money or you will get a pass through without disrupting the CNS. If neck shooting is required I use a 6mm and fragmenting lead bullets. Hope that helps.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Would be worth trying the ,sako load with the 120g TSX Bullet in 6.5x55 as you have one already

Quote Originally Posted by pob View Post
    I shoot an R8 6.5 X 55 which I am very happy with, but I'm looking to put in a variation and get restrictions changed on my certificate.

I'm also working towards deer management opportunities with conservation bodies, who have mostly adopted the FC lease requirements. DSC2, EFAW+F and use of factory non-toxic ammunition. I'd imagine this will be largely Muntjac and the odd fallow, woodland stalking.

Is there a calibre that jumps out as best choice in this situation in terms of cost, performance and obtainability? .243" or .308"?
    Or should I just be prepared for a good cry whatever I feed it?

I'd appreciate any relevant advice. Thanks in advance.
    Get something with a Schultz & Larsen barrel. You will not find any problems shooting lead free ammo through the barrel however lead free ammo inherently fouls badly.

So get a good cleaning regime planned.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Would be worth trying the ,sako load with the 120g TSX Bullet in 6.5x55 as you have one already
    Yes, I think I saw a thread of yours mentioning this before. I will try this. Thank you.
    I have confidence in my current setup, but I do need to submit a variation to have "that" conversation. I wondered if a new calibre would serve me better when using non toxic factory ammo, as the terms dictate?
    Thanks for all the input so far Gentlemen.

I am in the same position as you (stalking for a Conservation Charity) and possibly more to follow in the near future, with lead-free becoming a requirement. It appears .308 WIN is widely available in factory lead-free, but .343 WIN is not, with RFD's quoting suspected stabilisation issues with a .243 WIN lead-free bullet. So the .308 WIN would be the best choice in your case.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by pob View Post
    Yes, I think I saw a thread of yours mentioning this before. I will try this. Thank you.
    I have confidence in my current setup, but I do need to submit a variation to have "that" conversation. I wondered if a new calibre would serve me better when using non toxic factory ammo, as the terms dictate?
    Thanks for all the input so far Gentlemen.
    I dont know if you have come across Nathan Foster's website from NZ but he talks about the 120g TSX from the 6.5x55. He usually slates non lead bullets but he seems more than happy in this case.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...se/6.5x55.html

So far I have found his opinion on things to be pretty accurate, I have not tried the 120g TSX myself but would definitely be happy to do so based on his comments

Stick with the 6.5 x 55 and look at the Lapua Naturalis 140gr

York guns had some ttsx factory rounds for the 55 the other week when I was looking for bullets
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!